Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Previous strips were not bad, but this one has a harmful message. While real lockdown rules vary between countries, they are neither crazy nor arbitrary and are generally enacted in good faith.

4 Likes

NY Clan Lords United

name checks out

3 Likes

Cable and satellite companies are having a really tough time convincing people to shell out the cash to watch reruns with commercials that talk non stop about a company’s covid response with b roll footage

11 Likes

Some landlords are big consortia or investment groups with deep pockets, but some are small owners who rely on the income. I have neighbors, for example, who own multi-family dwellings like duplexes and use the rent from the units they don’t occupy to help cover their mortgage. Moratoriums on rent in times of furlough and layoff make sense, but why doesn’t it also makes sense to have a moratorium on the property tax for these landlords?

5 Likes

Prepare for the blame China 2020 reelection campaign.

8 Likes

This is USA Today

Because style matters during a pandemic.

9 Likes

Certainly small landlords that live in their buildings are in the same situation as their tenants- unless there’s been a mortgage moratorium. Which would include taxes if they have a mortgage.

Many cities have delayed tax payments- but it’s not viable for local and state governments- which are prevented from deficit spending in the US - unlike the Feds - to be able to provide needed services when the Feds are shirking their responsibility- when their revenue is down so much.

The Feds are not meeting their responsibility here.

20 Likes

I think getting this right is a tricky problem in our twisted economic system. Landlords might ask why they should be required to provide their product for free, while the Safeway down the road still gets to charge for food? A more consistent solution would be a safety net which provides furloughed and unemployed people genuine living wage protection, so that they could pay both their grocers and their landlords. (That’s how they’re doing it here – I just paid my May rent – but I’m in one of those evil social democracies.)

11 Likes

All valid points that could be made without appropriating the final words of a black man who was strangled by NYC police as their opening salvo.

26 Likes

Yeah, I can’t disagree with that. I didn’t even notice the first bit, that’s gross.

9 Likes
2 Likes

Not to worry, though. Trump shorted that stock a week back, so he’ll be fine.

5 Likes

trumppence2020-drinkthebleach

22 Likes

18 Likes

Good one, except not great as a yard sign, since most passersby would skip the fine print.

10 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

20 Likes

If only we could have a “scared straight” program for conspiracy theorists, making them file through a series of ERs to see the toll firsthand.

17 Likes

Putting the ass in Dallas.

19 Likes
19 Likes

Oh her again!

You gotta watch these 30 seconds a couple of times: one for her fantastic acting, a second to watch what she’s doing with her hands:

15 Likes