Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Given the presence of SO MANY variables, I stopped paying attention to pandemic charts and graphs long ago. Still, this one makes scary sense to me.

24 Likes
4 Likes

As @docosc already said, one doesn’t exclude the other. I wonder if this could have had an impact on people staying inside almost constantly, such as people in care homes, specially if they were in lock down, or people living in apartments: poorer people that cannot afford single-family houses or people living in New York city, Milan, or Madrid. Taking vitamin D seems to be a lot more harmless and more based on solid science than taking bleach or chloriquine.

We need to fix racism, for sure, but if ensuring an appropriate intake of vitamin D could help in this situation, it may be something that vulnerable populations should be encouraged to do. Not as the only solution, but as one more tool to help fight the consequences of the socioeconomic status quo and the epidemic.

18 Likes

I have a parliamentary question.

What’s the point of wearing a mask if you remove it to talk into the mic?

Live now

5 Likes

Starting next week, SAS and Norwegian Air will require facemasks for passengers. That sounds great, except:

• This is being done instead of creating extra space for passengers, eg by blocking the middle seat;
  • The airlines and airport will not be providing or selling the masks; and
  • At least here in Norway, where masks are not required, they are also unobtainable; pharmacies are sold out.
14 Likes

There’s idiots everywhere, but sometimes they get the blunt response they deserve:

14 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

11 Likes

On the other, hand, you’ll still die. So there’s that.

2 Likes

But it doesn’t count, don’t you see? Only definitely, conclusively proven Covid-19 cases count, and only if they happen to perfectly healthy people. Actually, now that I think about it, if you have Covid, you are not perfectly healthy, so no one can die of Covid! Pandemic solved!
(I hope this is unnecessary, but /s for any who doubt.)

31 Likes

Thumbs up to you from the grave by Jonathan Swift!

16 Likes

Mmmmmm…baby back ribs.

8 Likes

Tricky little inverse sections of RNA linked to a fluorescent tag that only becomes available when the section of RNA has a perfect match. The way most of these fluorescent tags work, there is a section of RNA that has a series of nucleic acid bases that are a mirror to the ones for the virus.

Let’s use a series of 8 bases as an example (though these sensors are usually much longer, up to 100-ish bases): ACGUACGU. That would correspond to the virus RNA section with the code UGCAUGCA. Then the sensor also has a fluorophore, often Fluorescein, bonded to the RNA strand along with a fluorescence quenching protein close by. When the RNA section bonds to RNA from the virus, the sensor’s structure is designed to separate the fluorophore from the quenching protein, which allows the fluorophore to light up in response to a certain wavelength of light. In the case of Fluorescein, it responds to blue light by releasing green light.

12 Likes
18 Likes

Thread:

Read it. Read the whole thing. This is a common experience when seeing a doctor while non-white, or even (often) as not a cis-man. I have no doubt that if she didn’t have all these people working to help her, she’d be dead at the hands of this doctor’s arrogance (and yes, racism and sexism).

You want to know why POCs (especially Black and Indigenous) are dying in greater numbers? Look no further than this thread.

30 Likes

FB_IMG_1588724975144

16 Likes
10 Likes

That’s horrific…

11 Likes

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

10 Likes

that’s not how this works. that’s not how any of this works.

i guess then we shouldn’t count traffic fatalities if the people were driving, because it’s well known if they hadn’t been driving they wouldn’t have died

21 Likes

Like those apocryphal thousand Inuit words for snow, perhaps Scots has a thousand words for “idiot”

8 Likes