Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Drug cartels and gangs better then Trump administration/Putin administration?

5 Likes

it sounds like too convenient of an excuse for the simpler and more likely explanation of racism

we already know that regular non-covid healthcare is statistically worse for black and brown americans than for whites, that getting tests are harder, that being believed is harder, and on, and on

we don’t need a medical explanation when the social one is so obvious

21 Likes

More Freddy. We need more Freddy.

2 Likes

I just don’t know how much more of this shit I can take.

19 Likes

Sweden’s Finns fear coronavirus

Ilta-Sanomat has a piece on the coronavirus epidemic in Sweden, focusing on the situation among the country’s significant Finnish community.

In past decades hundreds of thousands of people migrated from Finland to Sweden, and now many of them are of retirement age.

That puts them among coronavirus risk groups, and early in the epidemic Swedish authorities had said that Finnish-speakers had been hit harder than others.

Authorities now decline to give information about the background of victims, with many local authorities also refusing to say how many people in care homes have died, according to IS.

IS reports that Sundbyberg, a Stockholm district home to many Finnish-background people, has one of the highest rates of coronavirus fatalities in the city.

Solna, another Stockholm neighbourhood with many Finns, is also home to a care home now subject to a police investigation after at least 35 people died there of Covid-19.

7 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat:

40 Likes
4 Likes

I was trying to imagine how it could possibly work, and I thought maybe it would be quicker to detect the shape of the outer corona proteins?

Not surprised that it’s just a misleading headline

3 Likes

Only healthy people die of coronavirus.

8 Likes

Yeah, I mean I am going to guess that death rates are worse for Pavee in Ireland than for the settled community. And it’s got nothing to do with skin colour. This diseases, like all of them, kills the poor.and poverty is a product of racism (and institutional misogyny) as well as just ordinary capitalism.

8 Likes

Bar owner Kathy Goedde said she reopened as soon as the ruling came down, adding: “It was awesome.” Goedde said she’s limiting the number of people coming in and has asked them to stay two bar stools away from each other.

Why yes. If there’s one thing drunk people are known for, it’s their strict compliance with public sanitation suggestions.

12 Likes

Low levels of vitamin D seem to be associated with all sorts of issues with inflammation and immune system problems. Certainly, taking a supplement is a good idea if you live in gloomy dark places like Finland, where you get enough sunlight for vitamin D for something like three or four months per year only.

5 Likes

Does not have to be one or the other. Vit D supplementation has been shown to reduce viral URI’s (not shown specifically for covid-19) by roughly 50%. Darker skin and living in urban areas are both associated with decreased vit D levels. Unquestionably, racial disparity in access to healthcare contributes as well. Vit D supplementation is a cheap and easy step to reduce risk.

25 Likes

Great news! So if you have a preexisting condition, it is unpossible to die of covid-19! How cool his that? :man_facepalming:

29 Likes
14 Likes

Not that we need the confirmation, but

“When you look at the broader Republican response to masks through the lens of Reno’s thinking, it starts to make a lot more sense. This is a political movement that has been built to wage a culture war; it has no greater objective than owning the libs. And the best way to own them is to defeat them in combat over identity: gender, race, sexuality, and the like”

Also, more broadly,

15 Likes

Philly’s Procession of the Saints in corona time.

14 Likes
10 Likes

So not ■■■■■! And so so cute.

■■■■■ Breath Zone - NZ guidelines for children going back to school after Covid-19 quarantine

NZ doing it right again. :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

I wonder if Sarah Kendzior is influencing them by being a highly-visible, vocal fan.

6 Likes