Ongoing Trump raids

Both-siderism, yet again.

A humorous half-serious claim about illegally hidden documentation is NOT the same thing as the ‘far-fetched conspiracy theories’ actively promoted by right wing organizations.

No one is being threatened with death, among other things.

16 Likes

Especially since we’re dealing with Trump—it could have a more than 50% chance of being true. :wink:

11 Likes

I’m not sure how they can compare something like a Qanon conspiracy about nonexistent pedophiles keeping nonexistent children in a nonexistent pizza place basement to a real former president with real stolen documents possibly hiding some more documents in his real late wifes real burial site.

18 Likes

Agreed.

And

this_all-of-this.gif

Considering how bonkers TFG has been and is, I would not put it past him, or any of his handlers, at this point–including but not limited to his [surviving] family members, his enablers, co-conspirators, etc. These are people who use people. All the time. Yea verily even in death.

“Ooooooh let’s hide this stuff in… here… they’ll never look in a gravesite. If they even suggest searching it for legal reasons, we can claim how sacrilegious even such a suggestion would be! Social taboos! Something-something-godless-libruls!” [insert performative pearl-clutching or bible-clutching here]

:roll_eyes:

14 Likes

the Bedminster Golf Course is!

6 Likes

Carry on.

21 Likes

And didn’t even give her the satisfaction of including the name of the original MAGAt judge in their ruling…nice!

14 Likes

It’s at least a 5 ketchup bottle day.

10 Likes

Snl Ketchup GIF by Saturday Night Live

17 Likes

14 Likes

Well that didn’t last long…

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/politics/chris-kise-trump-mar-a-lago/index.html

18 Likes

Heh. He got paid already and now I’ll bet the other lawyers are regretting not making similar demands.

25 Likes

This turn of events as well as his demand for an up-front retainer definitely supports the narrative that Kise is unusually competent by Team Trump standards.

14 Likes

Perhaps the other lawyers also received up-front retainers but didn’t take the time to closely inspect the currency?

13 Likes

this video should be cross-posted to the cryptocurrency and related fuckery topic (if it hasn’t already)

3 Likes

The document fight is a delaying action, and he’s pulled back for something major, like when an indictment drops?

6 Likes

That doesn’t look like the case to me; he was brought on board specifically to help with the documents investigation and he’s now been shuffled away from the team handling that stuff. If Trump is going to be indicted over the document theft then they wouldn’t want to keep his top lawyer away from the rest of the people formulating a legal strategy for the case.

I think the simplest explanation is that Kise did what a real competent lawyer is supposed to do: he told Trump what he needed to know instead of what he wanted to hear. Normally that would be a fireable offense but since Kise got paid up front they just reassigned him to help out with one of the other endless scandals instead of the documents thing.

13 Likes

Maybe feeling jealous or spiteful DeathSantis pulled him away or getting into something completely different…

Kise served on DeSantis’s transition team in Florida and is known as the attorney who helped derail the campaign of the Florida governor’s erstwhile rival Andrew Gillum in 2018. DeSantis narrowly won that race after Kise publicized that Gillum accepted free tickets to the Broadway musical Hamilton from an undercover FBI agent posing as a developer.

…Kise came with high recommendations from Brian Ballard, a top bundler for Trump and DeSantis once described by Politico as the “Most Powerful Lobbyist in Trump’s Washington.”

“Chris is not only my friend, he is one of the finest lawyers I have ever met,” Ballard told NBC News. “His unique experience is perfectly suited to assist [former] President Trump.”

via Lawandcrime

While Mr Ballard is on your radar:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1564761079426813953

Smoke, smoke everywhere!

11 Likes

I haven’t been following the docket, but this move was fairly predictable:

The reporting on this case has been . . . subpar.

Thursday’s ruling was the first clash between Cannon, a Trump appointee who has generally shown the former president deference in litigation over the Mar-a-Lago investigation, and Dearie, a federal judge she appointed as an outside expert in the case, who appears to be far more skeptical of Trump.

Cannon is not “showing deference,” she is making up sh*t as she goes along, and actively interfering with an ongoing criminal investigation. Judge Dearie is not “far more skeptical of Trump,” he’s actually doing his damn job, which entails being skeptical of lots of people, not just the congenital liars. The way this is written makes it seem all the decisions here have resulted from bias. While that is true as to Cannon, the more important dichotomy is “Rule of Law” (Dearie) vs. “The King can do no wrong” (Cannon).

Also, Dearie’s not an “outside expert,” like someone to help explain what makes a document confidential. A special master does the same things a judge does - call balls and strikes. Dearie can’t be expected to do his job if he doesn’t have any standards to go by. To make any decisions he needs to pin down as a factual matter what TFG is actually claiming, which is Judging 101 if you’re not a partisan hack. Her entire approach reeks of “let’s just delay this past midterms, the Eleventh Circuit won’t take the case away from me before then.”

ETA: Had a chance to review the order, had some more thoughts. It seems to me Cannon is reversing the burden of proof, and requiring DOJ to repeatedly attest to the accuracy of the Inventory, without requiring TFG to even state what he thinks is inaccurate. He’s the plaintiff, he’s got the burden of proof here.

I think she is deliberately misstating Dearie, whose order gave TFG a “final opportunity to raise any factual dispute” about the Inventory’s accuracy. Cannon says the order would require TFG " to lodge ex ante final objections to the accuracy of Defendant’s Inventory." “Raising” a dispute is preliminary, and not the same as stating your “final objections.” Maybe I’m misreading it.

Dearie’s order makes sense because TFG has to prove the DOJ showed “callous disregard” of his rights in order for Cannon to have any jurisdiction. Putting aside TFG’s attorneys never even alleged any “callous disregard” (as noted by the Eleventh Circuit), TFG himself has been spouting off about planting evidence, etc. If that were in any shape true, then yeah, I could see that as a “callous disregard” of his rights. Of course, everyone knows he would fail if held to his proof, and this case would have to be dismissed. Cannon has chosen to put her fingers in her ears and pretend she has jurisdiction until the Eleventh Circuit says otherwise.

19 Likes

It’s simply astonishing to me that there is apparently no way to remove a judge who virtually every legal expert agrees is incompetent, hopelessly corrupt, and openly acting in bad faith from a case where she is clearly running interference for one side. At this point she should not be involved with these proceedings, and in a sane world would have already been removed from the bench.

22 Likes