Only minor injuries for driver whose car leaped an overpass ramp and flew through power lines

7 Likes

I was wondering that myself. If you watch to the end, they do go over to the car, but it takes a full minute.

5 Likes

They probably started out sending thoughts and prayers. Also, perhaps unwittingly, initially hesitant in case the car exploded after its touchdown.

4 Likes

What did she do??

5 Likes

The AMC Hornet, ladies and gentlemen!

4 Likes

IIRC, she used the window technique, rolling it down as the car sank and escaping through the window, because her car had hand-cranked regulators.

11 Likes

Hmm, I guess I must have missed the very ending. I can understand waiting a minute although I’d probably be jumping out as soon as possible.

5 Likes

There is more in this link about the incident.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/07/17/car-catapults-off-highway-99-in-yuba-city-crashes-into-road-below/

That jump was like something from the Fall Guy or Dukes of Hazzard.

8 Likes

the one time i found myself in a situation like this, the car did burst into a ball of flames about 5 seconds before I and the guy running from the other direction got to it. wish i’d waited an additional 30 seconds so that face wouldn’t be seared into my memory.

7 Likes

It’s not always a good idea to run towards disasters. Untrained personnel can just lead to more people to rescue or take to the hospital.

However, primarily, I think the people in the truck are traumatized and in an adrenalin rush. They aren’t trained first responders and they don’t know what to do, so they are still freaking out to avoid what movies (and reality, to some degree) have shown them could be an exploding car.

They may well have gotten out of the car after the video.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the day my mom and i went to the zoo… got off the bus and proceeded down the rear entrance to, the zoo is in a creek valley, the entrance has a s curve to go under a bridge. we were about half way to the fist curve when we heard tires squealing and horn honking from behind us… looking back up the drive we saw saw the underside of a car as it left the roadway near the top of the hill. It land close to us and keeps on going. Coming up the hill were to boys pushing their bikes just clearing the turn. The car drives right off the turn , boy stumbled a bit off the sidewalk but were fine. Car disappeared over the tops of the trees and about a second later we heard a loud thunk as it hit the ground in the ball field parking lot. A drop prolly around 50 ft. We made are way down the drive as quickly as we could and headed to the ball field parking lot to find the driver walking away from his car… wheels a bit bent outward from the impact. We asked if he was o and he seemed to think so, he explained his brakes failed and was lucky he didnt hit anyone in the intersection at the top of hill. Quite a memory made that day and something to tell the rest of the family when we returned home.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I’m astounded at how smoothly the 911 call went. Whenever I’ve called 911 from a cell phone, the dispatcher never seems to receive any location information.

One time, I pulled over and called to report a fledging grass fire along a major road near my home. The dispatcher asked “Where?” I gave the street name and the major cross roads on either side of the incident. The dispatcher again asked “Where?” so I explained that it was in a ditch right along the south side of the major east/west road. With increased urgency the dispatcher asked “Where?” so I gave the nearest cross street, which is tiny. The dispatcher screamed, “Where!” I explained it was about a half mile downhill from the entrance to the university.

Exasperated, the dispatcher demanded, “What f-ing CITY?”

He got a lot friendlier once I answered that question.

Even if a cellular phone somehow fails to transmit its GPS position to the E911 system, shouldn’t the dispatcher get basic location information based on which cell tower I was connected to?

2 Likes

As an aside: flying only adds 9.8/ms^2 of acceleration to the total KE of the system. Compared to the ~150kph of velocity already present, her jump didn’t really add much to the impact.

“Your car crash can have a little jump, as a treat.”

1 Like

Its possible you connected to a cell tower some distance from you, and not necessarily the closest one (or second closest, or third…)

Antenna patterns are often lazily shown as a system of interlocking circles. They aren’t. In reality they’re really messy made up of spikes and lobes in three-dimensions. Example:
main-qimg-61c3e48ae637f6cf58f5e644c358251b

I remember a case where two persons on meth froze to death. They called 911 but the tower that connected was nine miles away.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.