Oops! Indicted Donald Trump reportedly buys gun, until spokesperson takes it back (video)

C - YES
E - Not yet, but eventually. (I think he’ll run away to the UAE when the shit comes down, and declare himself the “Legitimate President in Exile”)
F - YES - Snorting Adderall to keep his “edge”, which is rotting his brain away.
G - No, but isn’t it obvious that this should have happened ages ago?

5 Likes

OF COURSE he bought a gun!
Just like he bought all those hamberders for his adoring cultists, and the drinks at the bar, and the attorney fees and the taxes and the documents and the crimes on top of crimes on top of crimes…

It’s just another step in the march towards fascism for these f!cks. Gilead isn’t a blueprint.

“I’m gonna lose AGAIN. But this time y’all start shootin and lynchin and sh!t! MAGA!” (major aholes going apeshit)

1 Like

You know, I may need to correct myself. @Brainspore

My answer is now: I think technically he CAN NOT.

I forgot there IS a question on the 4473 about if you are under indictment for a felony. If you check that box you will be denied before the NICS check is even made.

Now, from a practical standpoint, I don’t know how well various LE agencies are reporting indictments to the NICS system. I mentioned Domestic Violence above, which I know is the one thing that can get you denied even if you haven’t been convicted yet. Would that be the same with something like Felony Grand Theft Auto or what Trump is charged with? I don’t know. If you’re Joe Blow, you could maybe get away with lying on the form and cross your fingers your local LE agency didn’t report your indictment. Donald Trump? Obviously there is no way he would survive such scrutiny, he would have to lie on the form, even if the NICS system wouldn’t flag him.

CONVICTIONS will definitely get you flagged (though again, there are holes in that. It is one thing they really need to do a better job of.)

And as I said above, you can’t just buy a handgun out of state and walk out of it. If he WAS legal, he would have to have it shipped to a Florida FFL and go through the NICS check there.

And I still stand by the whole, “This is just like when he says he is going to buy everyone’s meal at a photo op.” That and he was an anti-gun democrat most of his life, and that really hasn’t changed. He’s just sucking up to the base.

Copy Pasted the latest ATF form question and instructions on the back (from April 2023).

21 c. Are you under indictment or information in any court for a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year, or are you a current member of the military who has been charged with violation(s) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice and whose charge(s) have been referred to a general court-martial?

Questions 21.c. - 21.m. Prohibited Persons: Generally, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) prohibits the shipment, transportation, receipt, or possession in or affecting interstate commerce of a firearm by one who: has been convicted of a felony in any Federal, including a general court-martial, State or local court, or any other crime, punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; is a fugitive from justice; is an
unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance; has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution; has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; is subject to certain restraining orders; convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence under Federal, including a general court-martial, State or Tribal, or local law; has renounced his/her U.S. citizenship; is an alien illegally in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa. Furthermore, 18 U.S.C. § 922(n) prohibits the shipment, transportation, or receipt in or affecting interstate commerce of a firearm by one who is under indictment or information for a felony in any Federal, including a general court-martial, State or local court, or any other crime, punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year. An information is a formal accusation of a crime verified by a prosecutor.

A member of the Armed Forces must answer “yes” to 21.c. if charged with an offense that is referred to a general court-martial. A current or former member of the Armed Forces must answer “yes” to 21.d. if convicted under a general court-martial.

Discharged “under dishonorable conditions” means separation from the Armed Forces resulting from a dishonorable discharge or dismissal adjudged by a general court-martial. That term does not include any other discharge or separation.

EXCEPTION: A person is not prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm if that person: (1) has been convicted of any Federal or State offense pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices; (2) has been convicted of a State misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment of two years or less; or (3) following conviction of a felony or other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned the person for more than one year, or a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, has received a pardon, an expungement or set aside of the conviction, or has lost and regained civil rights (the right to vote, sit on a jury, and hold public office) in the jurisdiction in which the conviction occurred, AND the law of the convicting jurisdiction does not prohibit the person from receiving or possessing firearms. Also, a person who has no more than one conviction of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence against an individual in a dating relationship, and is not otherwise prohibited under this chapter, is not prohibited if 5 years have elapsed from conviction or completion of the person’s custodial or supervisory sentence, whichever occurs later, and the person has not subsequently been convicted of any other misdemeanor crime of violence, or any other offense that would disqualify the person under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g). A person subject to any of these exceptions, or who received relief from disabilities under 18 U.S.C. § 925(c), should answer “no” to the applicable question.

2 Likes

He couldn’t even pretend to buy a gun from an American manufacturer?

5 Likes

That would depend on him knowing which ones are American. I don’t credit him that much knowledge.

6 Likes

His version of “cleaning” (as in “up”) has always involved money: Cheating contractors and scamming the right-wing marks.

1 Like

And what’s the penalty for lying on a 4473?

Applicants who knowingly make false statements may also face criminal prosecution for a felony and up to 10 years in federal prison.

IMO - it is very low hanging fruit, but it isn’t actively enforced very often. Most of the time it is an additional charge tacked on as they are charged with another crime. There are 150,000-180,000 denials per year, and a tiny tiny tiny fraction of those are ever followed up on and result in charges. Though they recently said they are going to go after more people who lie on their forms. So, I guess we shall see.

I forgot to mention that the Fix NICS act from 2018 WAS supposed to help make sure states and other LE agencies were properly reporting prohibited status changes to NICS.

Source of penalties:

1 Like

Morans…

I do hope at his next hearing where felonies are among the charges that the judge or the prosecutor will inquire about his attempts to purchase a firearm.

So literally the thing they were screaming about Hunter Biden then?

2 Likes

This story gets worse.

Candidate Trump’s stop a gun store in South Carolina on Monday wasn’t just an offhand visit: His eight SUV convoy doesn’t do anything without advance planning days or even weeks ahead of any event Trump attends or location he visits. He made a decision to stop at Palmetto State Armory in Summerville, South Carolina, because he knew that that specific gun store was where the racist shooter in Jacksonville, Florida bought the guns he used to kill three Black people at a Dollar General store in late August. On the receiver of one gun, the killer had painted a swastika right next to the engraved name of the store where he bought it, Palmetto State Armory. It’s just one month after the killings occurred. Memories are strong, and emotions in the Black community are still raw.

Trump knew this. And he also knew that memories of his racist base voters are just as strong, and their racist emotions are just as raw, waiting for him to signal that he’s with them. So, there he stood in Palmetto State Armory, handling a special edition Glock with his name and likeness engraved into the plastic handle and slide of the gun. …

[emphasis added]

6 Likes

Damn, that’s bloody heinous.

What an utter disaster if that fascist somehow gets back in the White House.

4 Likes

Huh yeah, heinous is the word for it, alright.

They’re getting bolder, or more desperate, or… something.

I am not liking these signs and portents.

10 Likes

But said asshole didn’t buy the rifle at Palmetto State Armory in Summerville. Or at least, there are no news articles that I can find that claim that. It is a PSA rifle, but PSA is a manufacturer that sold by dealers other than just themselves and are known for being cheap in more than one sense of the word. Summerville is also two states away from where the asshole lived, and we know it’s not the store he bought the pistol he used.

Is this a dog whistle? Or are you just hearing whistles that don’t exist?

The dog whistle is not him actually buying it - it was pretending to buy it at a gun store associated with anti-Black act of terrorism. YES - that is a dog whistle. It was an active choice on his part cosplay as a gun-humper at a place associated with a violent act of racism.

6 Likes

Correct.
And thank you for stating this compactly.

If the former guy could pick any gun store anywhere to visit, don’t you at least wonder why he picked this one particular gun store where he staged that photo-opportunity / video-opportunity, etc.? Like, what possibly distinguishes this particular gun store from all other gun stores?

How hard did you look?

ETA: grammar

5 Likes

Weird, since I often struggle with that… :grimacing:

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.