Optimizing a peanut butter and banana sandwich using machine learning and computer vision

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/26/optimizing-a-peanut-butter-and.html

3 Likes

Forgive my non-mathematically-computed approach, but…why not get the fewest gaps by slicing the banana lengthwise? If they are thin enough, you can even overlap the slices.

14 Likes

Exactly what I do.

5 Likes

Yeah, but what about unexpected brown mushy banana bits you gotta cut around?

4 Likes

Machine Learning Scientists hate this mutant! Click here to learn their one weird trick

2 Likes

simpsons-old-man-what-time-alive

6 Likes

{Puts banana in bowl, mushes it with fork, spreads banana mush on bread, covers with peanut buttered half}

So you’re saying I’ve been missing out on doing complex mathematical analysis while making my sandwich.

{finishes sandwich}

Huh.

12 Likes

I know that there’s a lot of people out there that like them, but … bleah

4 Likes

Shout-out to the Cutco 1721 “Trimmer” knife in the picture. Man I dig that knife.

I sold exactly one set of Cutco knives in college, but my demo set is still getting used over 2 decades later.

5 Likes

Another entry in the list “all the things AI has ruined”.

2 Likes

There is a banana deficiency at one end of that sandwich.

Solve it by replacing banana with Marmite.

3 Likes

That was actually covered in the original:

So there you have it, you are questioning if the author is a sociopath.

2 Likes

So, this guy is basically saying that to get the optimal banana sandwich you have to let an AI just look at it!

15 Likes

I’m with you, but some people (weirdos) prefer hard bananas that really don’t mush that well. There’s no accounting for taste.

3 Likes

All we need is for the boffins to engineer bananas to have a uniform bread-slice-shaped cross section when sliced. Problem solved.Garth too easy

5 Likes

Is there a parameter to change so slices start from the “monkey end” of the banana?

3 Likes

Optimized AI is still suboptimal.

4 Likes

Biggest problem here is that the sandwich is missing FLUFF!!!
It is a PB+B+F!

4 Likes

No. What it’s missing is a little Iceburg lettuce.

Don’t freak, try it, you may be surprised. My favourite sandwich when I was a kid.

2 Likes

Came here for this, not disappointed.

…And just look at it!

2 Likes