Oregon farmers are growing far more weed than residents can smoke

Nah. Grows anywhere.

Goddammit! Oregon has so much weed they’re using it as goat fodder, meanwhile over here in Illinois we still have to buy our weed on the mean streets with no quality assurance.

2 Likes

Au contraire, my friend.

https://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html

Why do you think birds like cannabis seeds?

That’s not even the same species of plant.

Maybe you’re just being facetious?

Last I checked, more than 99.9% of medical/recreational cannabis cultivated is seedless.

The point is, we aren’t talking about a staple crop here – Think of it as more of a boutique crop that has real social and economic benefits for society.

You can shout it: MOlST!

7 Likes

Here is the address to ship the surplus to:

950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

I’m sure people will develop and try to protect new strains. How does one attempt to claim ownership of already-existing strains? As far as I know that would not hold up in court, though surely trollies will try.

Came here for this. Thanks!

1 Like

Okay, when I get high I love to have conversations about off-the-books art history and obscure movie trivia.

Please tell me you economists upthread don’t talk about commodities when you’re high.

5 Likes

Only when I’m drunk :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Except that it is absolutely Constitutional. Congress specifically has the power to regulate interstate commerce.

When all you have is a hammer…

The US Constitution is and always has been interpreted. The scope of the Commerce Clause was not always as broad as it has become.

Again, to reiterate my first comment, a lot of good has come from this. Unfortunately so has a lot of unintended consequences and outright racist policies. It’s a tool of power that’s been wielded by the wise and the corrupt alike.

1 Like

Or you could just grow it yourself… I assume that’s legal? I know in MA it is. Fuck commercial drugs, best drugs is home-grown drugs! Main reason weed was illegal so long — tough to build a monopolistic industry around a plant that grows like… a weed. :wink:

1 Like

I wonder if that hemp document has enough THC content where you’d get a little high smoking it…

Don’t get me wrong I hear you but that’s not a solution for a lot of folks- renters for example often can’t grow their own, people who kill plants no matter how hard they try, etc.

Plus, sure they are fairly easy to grow, but if you are hands off about it, you won’t get a good yield, and the buds you do get won’t reach their full potential. To actually get a good harvest you have to put in some care. A lotta people ain’t got time for that, myself included.

1 Like

Especially potheads, er, I mean, marijuana enthusiasts! :wink:

1 Like

You can whisper it too:

■■■■■.

6 Likes

I absolutely have. It just makes a fuck ton less sense.

2 Likes

The Radiolab program outlined how the Commerce Clause was used to desegregate the South. The test case was a restaurant that wouldn’t serve blacks, and it was decided that they were impeding Commerce.

1 Like

That just means you’re not high enough!

1 Like