Oregon militia leaders complain about no Internet in jail cell

To be clear, they have internet access. What they’re complaining about is that the government hasn’t given them laptops and internet access, unfettered, in their cells.

11 Likes

Wait! The guards 2nd amendment rights are being taken away??!?!?

This is political correctness has gone too far!

1 Like

15 Likes

If we send them some dildos they (or their cellmates) might find the experience of jail less boring.

3 Likes

The Oregonian seems to have a better article

They and other defendants asked for more access to the jail law library and desks in their respective jail cells to work on. They also want to be allowed to see one another to discuss trial strategies and pray together.

Jailers said the defendants could have more corrections-grade, safety ink pens and buy colored pencils from the jail commissary. They can have legal pads provided by their lawyers that fit in a banker’s box, and are allowed up to three banker boxes at a time.

They can’t have desks in their cells for security reasons, but can use a fixed shelf as a makeshift desk, the sheriff’s officers suggested, according to the court filing.

One computer is available at the downtown Portland jail. It has no keyboard, mouse or attached printer, but is operated by a touch screen. It’s preloaded with legal resources, but doesn’t allow for any Internet research.

What’s wrong with trying to secure a by-the-books conviction that’s above reproach?

3 Likes

See, this is a much funnier joke than rape, because they’re free to go fuck themselves.

2 Likes

I’d give them unfettered internet access 24-7 if it meant they’d finally read about, learn, and understand the definition of the term ‘constitutional right’ and its meaning within the framework of U.S. constitutional law (and whatever legal codes related to incarceration).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys didn’t really trust their lawyers and wanted to scour the internet for crazy-ish “constitutionalist” defenses…

2 Likes

I’m surprised that they aren’t screaming about being political prisoners.

Perhaps the lack of Internet, safe pens, etc is the result of the low taxes they promote.

5 Likes

Surely one of these guys is named Nimrod.

OK, my last/first comment is no longer here. Not surprised, actually. No, I was not advocating rape. Certainly not for justice or whatever you want to call it. I felt that with the goatse.cx reference some people might actually recognize as a bit of gallows humor. So much for not. Yes, I understand that rape is a serious issue in prison. Again, the juxtaposition of rape and having to deal with not being able to cuddle with your guns at night, or having full access to whoever you feel need access that is also in the same location (to cuddle with??), the lack of access to the Internet, and all those 1st Amendment Rights that they now finding that they don’t have because they are now felons and serving their sentences (or soon will be) is just plain too much for anybody to take seriously.

Jails and prisons are not fun places. In the US they are horrible depressing places. The people in there are harmed. Most people are in jails or prisons are there for unjust laws and sentences. A significant percentage are innocent. The entire system needs reform.

That being said, these people have been treated very well compared to others. If they were black, environmentalists, animal rights activist, hackavists, or anti-war activists they would have been treated much worse. If they were anyone else other than white conservatives they would have been gunned down.

5 Likes

I’m not crazy - Institution
You’re the one who’s crazy - Institution
You’re driving me crazy - Institution
They stuck me in an institution
Said it was the only solution
To give me the needed professional help
To protect me from the enemy – myself.

The lyrics…they still work

4 Likes

Oh, you mean the darkies’ natural habitat!

1 Like

Damn; there’s one I haven’t heard seen in a cool minute…

Your joke is at the expense of rape victims. Sure it’s gallows humor, but you’re laughing at them, not with the rest of us who are depressed by this diseased earth.

2edgy!

Prison rape is not inevitable, nor is it “absurdist” considering the commonality of both the act, and the juvenile mirth made of it.

Mister Goatse is at least a consenting (married!) adult.

7 Likes

Needs more /s?

1 Like

It’s sarcasm, all the way down.

:wink:

6 Likes

There’s not really anything anyone needs to say about this story, it really speaks for itself.

I guess the snarkiest thing I could add is : are these guys going to petition that ALL prisoners get their 2nd Amendment rights? It would certainly solve the prison overcrowding problem.

[quote=“Phrenological, post:80, topic:78885”]
Prison rape is not inevitable, nor is it “absurdist” considering the commonality of both the act, and the juvenile mirth made of it.[/quote]

Prison rape still happens. Even in the 21st Century. And since the people that could fix the problem have no inclination to do so, that meets the definition of inevitable in my book, at least what’s left in my lifetime. [No, I’m not going to live forever, and if I could right now, I’m not sure that I would want to, not in this body at least, and yes, I’m already cyborged (heart pacemaker) although an uploaded mind would be fine, but I’m not sure I would consider that “live” either…] Now, I could be shocked, shocked I tell you, that something would change pretty damn quickly. Not enough care give a damn about about the prison population to make a difference.

Oh, and all we can tell by that photo of Mr. Goatse is that he is married and an adult. You’re making an assumption that it was consenting.