Oregon militiaman arrested after stealing wildlife reserve vehicle to go shopping

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:24, topic:72266”]
If you ask a US federal, state, or municipal government, they do claim a right to commandeer your home.[/quote]
I said employer. You were arguing on the premise that people should be able to use their employee’s things, not the direction you switch to here. Though it’s strange for you either way, because…

That’s what I remembered. So why were you talking about what you can do with a truck that belongs to an employee, if you don’t think a truck can belong to an employee in the first place?

3 Likes

Among those still active in this thread, I see three modalities of argument: legal, ontological, and epistemological. For the love of FSM, please settle on two of these, if not one.

13 Likes

There are picture floating around of “their” suppies room, once barren, now fully stocked. Ending the era of federally owned property is hard work, and they’re in it for the long hall. The ideal time to blockade and lay seige ihas come and gone.

There’s also ethical, political, theological and … woops, sorry, I nodded off for a moment there.

5 Likes

I’ve driven my boss’ cars, when I was a PA. Generally for things like “car wash” and other maintenance. He had this amazing vintage Mercedes convertible I got to drive once. I haven never gotten so much male attention as when I pulled up in that thing. :laughing:

Pretty sure I’d have been fired if I just took off with it whenever I felt like it, though.

3 Likes

i’ve wondered this, too. if they are so anti-government, then they don’t deserve to use the things that government provides, like roads, mail service, heat, water, electricity, plumbing…

9 Likes

I think you mean liberating some of his tax dollars to take a dangerous trip for the sole purpose of putting even more money into economic circulation - what a hero!

1 Like

Now imagine your park is 319 acres and adjacent to your business downtown, and there are 6 months of decent weather in your town so for a solid 3 summer months and then at least occasionally for the month and a half on either side both public AND private events effect the same shut-down for 2-5 days per week…of both pedestrian AND vehicle traffic. Yeah, the summer festival schedule is particularly brutal: I’m 2 miles away, whaddya mean I can’t turn left?

5 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic. And that means not arguing about property existing or not.

23 Likes

But this is exactly what happens over and over again: the subject matter is trivial, merely an excuse to argue about what “is” is.

12 Likes

The Malheur occupation, fundamentally, is about not staying on topic. The questions they ask seem to be long settled non sequiters. Can the federal government own land. Are County governments endowed by god to defend the sovereign citizen from the excesses of the “state.” And the answer to those questions is usually “Don’t be absurd…”

7 Likes

By the way, anyone else getting a weird hiccup around post 40?

1 Like

Fine! So if notions of property and territory are not relevant to a topic about theft and occupation, I will defer to you clear and unbiased interlocutors to try explaining what you think is topical here. I won’t be participating in further remarks in this topic. But this had really better be good.

Derailment achieved, yet again! Congrats, I guess.

23 Likes

Dude, it doesn’t work that way.

Not that I wouldn’t love to head to the local armory and pick up a SAW and M4 for the weekend using that logic. Or hell, to the local police SWAT armory and borrow an MP-5. But that isn’t how it works.

ETA - heading to Fort Knox for a bar of gold. Just one. I’m not greedy. Will be a bitchin paper weight.

7 Likes

an asshole in the seat?

1 Like

I had to wait 10 whole seconds before I could like your post. Good thing I’m a patient woman.:smirk:

7 Likes

You can have something pretty similar. Buy a tungsten bucking bar, and gold-plate it. The look and feel will be the same.

And it’s quite likely that you’d get something similar from the other store anyway.

2 Likes

“But. . . but. . . I thought we could just do what we want. . . you know, freedom.”

5 Likes

You might could broaden your definition of “those people.” I’ve had this argument with an unabashed hippie who felt that the “community garden” he was making deserved that water hose more than the public park he’d stolen it from did.

Then again, he was white, so maybe not.

1 Like