Oregon militiaman arrested after stealing wildlife reserve vehicle to go shopping

How far do you go? My city built a waterfront park entirely with public money. There are numerous reasons to walk through this park including just getting to somewhere else. The park borders the river and I-95 so crossovers are severely limited. It is a pleasant place to stroll through and enjoy the day.

The city often turns this park over to private interests who put up fences and charge admission fees for things like food festivals and the like. At these time citizens are not allowed to pass through or enjoy THEIR park. I understand I can not just use the music amphitheater for my garage band, but can’t I stroll through when I want?

3 Likes

I’d say usually that’s a matter of policy, not legitimacy. Perhaps they shouldn’t block access, but as long as they follow proper procedures and don’t violate any specifically protected interests they can.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if the places where you’d normally turn those things off for said property are just dangerously near the armed militants.

In any case, apparently there’s no need to stage a formal siege to starve them out the local cops can just nab them when they go out for a donut run.

6 Likes

You didn’t know that before? Are you saying that this is something that you know now?

I am not sure what “want” has to do with anything.

If you ask a US federal, state, or municipal government, they do claim a right to commandeer your home. Or even give it to someone they like better. That’s why it is called “real estate”, people customarily just buy a right to conditionally build something and live there, but they aren’t recognized as really controlling it.

Anyway, my point was that government function as public servants. So government employees having the same rights and responsibilities as citizens would be a conflict of interests. Their authority is limited by the public.

That’s really not for them to decide. If it is truly in trust to the public, then government property is public property. Or else, you’ve got an insurrection on your hands.

Again, just no.

I think it’s probably in most nations’ interests to have a well-equipped military for national defense. That doesn’t mean I support the right of any yokel to borrow a fighter jet for his own personal use.

18 Likes

Yeah I was confused about the mail thing too. How the hell do they get all those sex toys from amazon? Does the mailman just wander through the lines waving a big white flag?

Is there no police presence? I thought US cops would looove every opportunity to show off all their military toys…

5 Likes

ETA: Role models…

Why borrow when you can buy?

I think I have found a video of it

2 Likes

The right to own private fighter jets has been tested before.

4 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: The philosophy of property

It’s not your park to stroll through when you want. If you convince the community (or, at least, a large enough portion of it) that there shouldn’t be festivals with admissions fees held there, or that a corridor should always be kept open in those situations, then great! But no, you don’t get to just walk up and say “hey, I was one of the [largenumber] of people who paid for a minuscule portion of the cost of this, so you need to let me stroll on through regardless of whatever else is happening right now”.

6 Likes

Everything I’ve read said they don’t want to get close enough to the armed wingnuts to turn of the power. Reports said that where they do have access, that power also runs to local farms and homes.

2 Likes

[quote=“popobawa4u, post:24, topic:72266”]
If you ask a US federal, state, or municipal government, they do claim a right to commandeer your home.[/quote]
I said employer. You were arguing on the premise that people should be able to use their employee’s things, not the direction you switch to here. Though it’s strange for you either way, because…

That’s what I remembered. So why were you talking about what you can do with a truck that belongs to an employee, if you don’t think a truck can belong to an employee in the first place?

3 Likes

Among those still active in this thread, I see three modalities of argument: legal, ontological, and epistemological. For the love of FSM, please settle on two of these, if not one.

13 Likes

There are picture floating around of “their” suppies room, once barren, now fully stocked. Ending the era of federally owned property is hard work, and they’re in it for the long hall. The ideal time to blockade and lay seige ihas come and gone.

There’s also ethical, political, theological and … woops, sorry, I nodded off for a moment there.

5 Likes

I’ve driven my boss’ cars, when I was a PA. Generally for things like “car wash” and other maintenance. He had this amazing vintage Mercedes convertible I got to drive once. I haven never gotten so much male attention as when I pulled up in that thing. :laughing:

Pretty sure I’d have been fired if I just took off with it whenever I felt like it, though.

3 Likes

i’ve wondered this, too. if they are so anti-government, then they don’t deserve to use the things that government provides, like roads, mail service, heat, water, electricity, plumbing…

9 Likes

I think you mean liberating some of his tax dollars to take a dangerous trip for the sole purpose of putting even more money into economic circulation - what a hero!

1 Like