Oreo's short film 'Proud Parent'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/16/oreos-short-film-proud-parent.html

5 Likes

I need a cookie.

5 Likes

I’m eating Oreos right now.

1 Like

I think I speak for all LGBTQ+ persons when I say that this opportunity to passively assist in the marketing of America’s top-selling factory-made cookie makes it all worth it.

8 Likes

That the corporation that makes Oreos thinks this is a winning strategy to sell cookies shows how far we’ve come.

7 Likes

I’m going to go out and get some delicious cookies this evening! I will have to pick up a package of Oreos too, I suppose. There’s a food-bank barrel on the way out of the store, so I hope someone who enjoys those things ends up with them. Those things are the candy-corn of the cookie world.

<—spoiled brat married to a former pastry chef

When I was young this commercial would have been controversial just for including an interracial couple. Yay for progress!

7 Likes

While this is sweet I really get nervous around corporate marketing around topics like this.

As a gay man and a furry…

giphy

4 Likes

I remember RJR/Nabisco. The fact Nabisco wants this image to be theirs represents progress as it used to be: “Cigarettes do not cause cancer.”

3 Likes

I’m not crying, YOU’RE crying. Okay, we’re ALL crying. So narrow minded people are going to boycott Oreos, AGAIN. More Oreos for US.

4 Likes

aww shit, now i’m crying. considering that i’ve been despairing over the future of LGBTQ rights in recent weeks, i needed this SO. MUCH. i’m fucking buying oreos next shopping night.

1 Like

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, … Hey, where’s indigo? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the way, did anybody notice that this site offers many flags under the emoji? :rainbow_flag: Including this one!

1 Like

That is one beautiful commercial. I hope it inspires a lot of rainbow fences.

:rainbow_flag:

Next – only after LGTBQ rights and respect are so securely established that ads defending them are considered old-fashioned – maybe Nabisco could make an ad in which they show emotional support for young introverts whose extraverted parents never miss an opportunity to shove them into the spotlight.

Try Newman-Os. WAY better.

2 Likes

I’m a bit conflicted. I’m very leery of corporate america using any social issues (LGTBQ, BLM, etc…) as part of their branding, because well… corporate greed and the potential for misuse or completely disingenuous use. On the other hand, this is how things get normalized in a capitalist society. As others have noted, we’re collectively not throwing hissy fits and crapping our pants every time there’s an interracial couple onscreen anymore.

1 Like

This commercial really makes me want to hate my family of origin.

1 Like

After they looted the pension fund and moved production to Mexico. Fuck Nabisco even with the rainbow-washing

3 Likes

Have never seen them on the store shelves. If they show up, I’ll give them a try, although, Oreo’s still are preferred by most.

Source: https://prezi.com/haptbozaqru7/oreos-vs-newman-os/