Osaka mayor says men should buy groceries because women "dawdle at shops"

stuff vs. shit. The secondary item there is not a data point. What you believe you’re getting at a discount is just marketing nonsense. What did you spend? What did you get? You got what you got for what you spent. My wife tried to show me what she “saved” on groceries and my response is always, what did you spend? There is no such thing as “saving money” … it is just an idea that’s been forcefully inserted into most people’s brains using advertisements on the idiot box and line items on a receipt.

Gender economics is about as useful as measuring skull size or star signs to determine violent tendencies. Ichiro is misleading er’body

2 Likes

Oh look, he’s a right wing populist.

3 Likes

Osaka mayor: weiner.

5 Likes

This thread is a pretty good argument for subscription-based shopping: order all the dry goods (canned/boxed/packaged foods) as well as frozen and perishables and then only have to handle produce (or opt to buy that ahead of time as well). If you are in any loyalty program (for the coupons, yo) they already know what you buy and how often.

Mr Drucker at the Hooterville Gen’l Store also knew what people bought and when/how often. If you could simply get a list sent via email, check yes/no to each item and then arrange a pickup time, it would simplify things a lot. One can of beans is just like every other, likewise cereal or cookies.

I’m puzzled that Kroger or Publix haven’t done this. It’s not for everyone but it would work for a lot of us. I wrote something about this on the old Google+ thing and referenced this link from 2013…

2 Likes

He has no idea how well he defined two sexes unintentionally. men - task-oriented, boring. women - always looking for something to satisfy their brains. as a man, i say, women are fucking awesome. (Obviously, this is not applicable to every man and every woman)

Moving faster makes you breath faster and deeper. /s… or is it? Hey, Mythbusters!

Instead you engage the services of someone who is forced to marinate in that covid soup all day long for minimum wage (most likely).

I mean, sure, that’s better for you. But they are handling your food, breathing on it, maybe licking it if they are pissed and sure nobody’s watching.

You may not be as safe as you think.

But then, who really is? I’ve put off grocery shopping for two weeks now, but the the pantry is starting to run bare. This weekend I need to come up with a plan.

I know it will involve going to a grocery store, but I’m not sure when, or how…

When I went two weeks ago, roughly half the people there were wearing masks, some were wearing them around their necks, some had gloves and were still touching their faces, and a good number were keeping their distance from each other, while others had their entire clan with them. There was some meandering, and some hustle. Many, many shared nervous glances.

Now it’s two weeks later. I wonder what – if anything – has changed? I hope at least one person is wearing Mad Max style apocalyptic garb. I don’t want to be the only one.

3 Likes

@JohnEightThirty, I have duly revised your comment by adding “What” to the beginning of the sentence and adding it to my long running list “Food For Thought”. So - thank you!
Another two quotes in my list are appropriate for these times; they may have been previously pilfered from a couple of the BB comments threads:

“FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!” “No, but it may be a default setting.” – Aaron Neathery’s Endtown

“Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you’re stupid and make bad decisions.” – Bill Murray

2 Likes

The ignorance and misogyny in this one are very strong. Its wife and mistresses should be completely “avoiding human contact” with this tiny dickhead, if it’s even human.

WTF is with all these morons who “think” it’s the 12 Century 'steada the 21st?!

5 Likes

While technically correct (the very best kind of correct), on John Oliver’s scale of “you probably shouldn’t do that” to “you need to calm the fuck down”, that’s closer to the latter.

2 Likes

The people who work at the store do have to be there their whole shift. And, for the store to offer the service I use, they do need a larger staff. But having the customers stay out of the store is better not just for the customers but also for the workers.

5 Likes

Didn’t work too well in Malaysia https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-52040256

1 Like

My wife works at a market. By the time I pick her up, she wants to get the F out of there. At almost every shop we go to, she takes one quick look and decides if she wants to be there and more often then not it’s leaving after 15 seconds. I am the dawdler. Now I dawdle less. The ToDoist app has been a godsend for shopping lists.

2 Likes

Well, lucky you. Around here every delivery service is booked for months out and if you manage to get a cancelation window you’ll get some random grab bag of groceries including half of what you ordered because the overworked and underpaid delivery person made hasty and silly substitutions for things that weren’t available.

So yes, I still go to the grocery store, because I have no choice.

10 Likes

11 Likes

People from Tokyo have things to say about people from Osaka. There seems to be something going on between the two cities sort of like how San Francisco people talk about Los Angeles.

I did this all the time. Living 300 meters from the grocery store teaches you bad habits.

4 Likes

He has obviously never seen me in the cookie isle.

1 Like

The average person can’t even spell ‘PPE’.

1 Like

:musical_note: “Oh I’d love to be an Osaka Mayor wiener…”

3 Likes

The store I shop at offers the pick up service. Those doing the shopping shop for 8 people at a time. So if there was some magical slider to shift the proportion of people shopping this way - I suspect the potential contacts would go way down as they shifted to more pick up orders. Imagine 1/8th of the people in a space designed for full occupancy rather than a minimized cramped fulfillment centre.

Of course the real world would not work that way.

However in my limited visits there recently I have not seen the staff doing the pick up shopping. They may have shifted it outside regular hours or they all may hide when I show up.