Osaka mayor says men should buy groceries because women "dawdle at shops"

Yes, I’m lucky that this service exists; I had nothing to do with creating it. I’m not any kind of insider, though; anybody near the city I live in (Philadelphia) can use it.

The service I use only accepts orders six days out. This was one of a number of smart changes they made when they got slammed by the pandemic. They used to allow orders two weeks in advance, which I imagine they did because some developer thought “what the hell, it’s possible”. When the pandemic hit, that of course meant everybody had to order two weeks out, because the excess demand guarantees slots will fill up the day they’re made available. So the store shrank the window to six days (which is still a long lead time to have to plan a grocery run).

They handle substitutions pretty well. An hour or so before my time slot, they text me a link to a form listing out-of-stock items and in some cases offering me a choice of one alternate pick or nothing. It would be better if they didn’t limit me to that alternate. (For example, my last order included Bumble Bee albacore packed in oil. that was out, so they offered me Bumble Bee albacore packed in water. A better substitute would have been another brand of albacore in oil. It would be nice if the alternate could be any item I name.) But what they have is better than nothing.

Same here, and that situation is true for many people across the continents.

Being anywhere where other people are is stressful as fuck to me right now, so personally I have no incentive to “dawdle” or drag the process out.

I take stock of my needs in advance, make a detailed list before leaving the house, mask up, arm myself with sanitizer, and get in and out as quickly as possible… all while looking like I’m playing a much less fun real-life version of ‘PacMan’ avoiding other people in the aisles.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.