Out-of-control Texas cop pulls gun on children

Thats so dramatic.

In every scenario I can think of involving angry cops nearby, I would much rather be the infant than the guy running away.

1 Like

But yet it’s entirely true. Cops have shown their willing to use violence on anyone for any reason. They have literally defended their right to attack sleeping babies. Expecting any one thing to try to keep you safe - and trying to lecture people on how to best be safe - is just wanting to puff up and lecture people for no real use. Cops have shown they can’t really be reasoned with, the only safe place to be is not near a cop.

15 Likes

History demurs

I would guess that most confrontations with cops end reasonably, probably thousands a day? By running, your odds of safety immediately drop.

This is only true for white people.

10 Likes

Am I missing something here or is telling young women, particularly black women “to get their ass away” acceptable language by an officer of the state?

And far more importantly sitting on the back of an underaged girl dressed in nothing but a bikini, touching her, grabbing her is that acceptable? Surely under normal circumstances that is considered sexual assault of a minor.

Question to those who are legally versed:

a) Did the officer have any legal right to restrain the girl.

b) If he did not (which I assume is the case) could he not be sued for sexual assault? If someone treated my daughter like that I would consider it a sexual assault and would hope that the law would be on my side.

Aside from all that, these were the most well behaved, restrained group of teenagers I have come across (and that and luck probably saved their lives).

As far as I saw the video:

1. Rambo cop lost his flash light,

2. nice, well raised young black boys bring it back to him.

3. he then decided to use it to threaten the very same kids, which would be confusing to anyone.

I would probably interpret the situation an superbly embarrassed cop (who is probably laughing stock back at the station) tries to save face by showing who really is in charge to completely shocked and flabbergasted young kids, while overweighed middle aged men wonder among bikini clad fit young girls.

Finally could someone look into the cops background, I wouldn’t be surprised if he not only has an issue with black kids but with women in general.

15 Likes

By being in the near vicinity of police, your odds of safety immediately drop.

18 Likes

Wow, that code is scary in its effective carte blanche for LEOs to go legally apeshit in their response to, well, anything:

TERRORISTIC THREAT. (a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to:(1) cause a reaction of any type to his threat by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;

So, if crazy-cop reacts to someone he perceives as making a threat involving violence it’s go time. The kid yells at the cop to stop hurting his friend, so out comes gun in response to the “threat” of violence to the cop.

Yikes.

Another thing: that cop has stripes, which means he has some sort of ranking authority over other cops. Yay.

6 Likes

That arguably falls into the ‘calculated risk’ bucket.

Yes, running from the cops will tend to make them focus on you, occasionally lethally, occasionally in one of the various more-and-less subtle flavors of reprisal favored for those who piss them off; but only if they catch you. In the case of an actual crime of some type, especially if there’s a body, or a guy in the hospital with a couple of bullet holes, or a hot gun with fingerprints and no serial number, or enough drugs to charge somebody with possession with intent; running is often a bad strategy regardless; because very few of us actually have the desire(or ability) to just flee to Mexico and live under an assumed name in a backwater town forever, and they’ll likely come after you later.

In a case like this pool party incident, or the bog-standard ‘recently graduated seniors drinking illegally at a not-all-that-secret location’, there’s a much better case to be made for running. Yes, if they catch you the outcome will be bad; but if they don’t, odds are good that you’ll simply never show up in the official writeup; and you’ll dodge the assorted petty-but-potentially dangerous(even the goofiest little citation turns into a warrant pretty quickly if you don’t make a court date or are on any kind of probation) citations that are likely to be handed out like candy if the cops don’t like the attitude they are getting from the event they’ve just busted.

If you have reason to suspect that your biggest risk is an avuncular talking-to(like the guy shooting this video, who the cops certainly didn’t seem remotely interested in), or it’s no big deal to make any citations or charges of the ‘flash a real lawyer and watch them drop everything so fast’ variety go away; sure, running is a dumb idea. It’s tiring, you might trip, and cops don’t like it. If you aren’t so sanguine about the outcome of a brush with the cops, though, there’s a case to be made for not being present when the attendees are being processed.

8 Likes

Exactly correct! So how do you increase your odds of survival now that a cop is around? The ACLU and any other prominent organization will tell you not to run.

These kids will be seriously psychologically scarred from this incident, as will their faith in their country. I hope it will be some small comfort to them that their sacrifice allowed us undeniable video evidence of modern de facto segregation looking, sounding and feeling exactly like pre-civil rights/jim crow de jure segregation. Of course, when representatives of the “jure” show up to violently enforce segregation, is it even de facto anymore? Civil rights II: this time it better fucking stick.

8 Likes

White supremacy in action. White criminals have less to fear from the police than black children.

The notion that this or that violent cop is “out of control” erases the very real and daily violence faced by our black and brown brothers and sisters. The police constantly abuse poor people and people of color but this heinous treatment is invisible to affluent white people so it hasn’t ever been systematically reported. Finally now, with the advent of cheap portable recording devices, the full scope of the police violence problem is being unveiled. With the poor and disenfranchised suddenly having a voice and access to social media it is getting harder and harder to deny that police use “excessive force” (ie. violence and brutality) VERY regularly.

It seems doubtful those other “good” cops who were “shocked” at the one officer’s behavior will testify against him in a criminal assault trial. Police who abuse and even kill are almost never punished by the criminal justice system. The institutional corruption protecting the police is quite totalitarian and unwavering.

So far…

15 Likes

I do appreciate your well thought out reasoning, but i feel like the numbers would prove that obeying is safer than running. So much so that Im betting running wouldnt even factor in to the conversation.

“Everybody knows if the police have to come and get you, they’re bringing an ass kicking with them.” Chris Rock

1 Like

As I said, calculated risk:

If running is unsuccessful, it is, indeed, well known(the term I’ve heard is ‘foot tax’, I assume many variations exist) that you are likely to be taken into custody about as harshly as they think they can get away with, sometimes a bit more so.

My point is that, unless you are either sufficiently squeaky clean and respectable that you have no reason for concern; or are sufficiently closely linked to some actually serious matter that they’ll likely keep looking; there is a set of situations where the police have insufficient resources or interest to chase down every last person there; but have a variety of all-purpose charges that they can stick on anyone at the event who irks them.

In these situations running is still only a good idea if you get away(since you’ll get assaulted and tacked with whatever citations or charges seem handy if you don’t); but if you happen to be on the favorable side of the crowd and are able to make it out, your day will be much improved.

3 Likes

Nah, it’s the same logic as the advice when you and someone else is getting chased by a grizzly bear: I don’t have to run faster than the bear. I just have to run faster than the people I’m with.

Which actually seems like an apt analogy come to think of it:

Bears are unpredictable, can be violent, are really dangerous, and don’t see well so they tend to misjudge situations.

Cops are often unpredictable, violent, and misjudge a lot of situations.

Therefore, interacting with a cop is a lot like interacting with a wild grizzly bear. You’re better off avoiding any contact.

15 Likes

Your whole line seems to be “If you’ve got nothing to hide, you got nothing to fear” and “due process will sort it all out in then end”. The problem is that for the little girl in the video being thrown down and possibly (I certainly wouldn’t rule it out) sexually abused, due process has already let her down, the same for the kid who the mentally unhinged cop pulled his gun on. (The gun was pointed at the kid, I saw it quite clearly in the video. The usual line in gun safety is don’t point your gun at something you don’t intend to kill - the inference being that this cop had every intention of murdering that kid)

What do these 2 kids have to gain from submitting? Fewer bogus charges?

10 Likes

Sure there is a gray area if you want to go through every scenario. But I wonder what would happen if tomorow everyone simply ran from the cops instead of obeying their orders? There would be a thousand new cop abuse videos by noon.

So everyone in the pool video should have ran? Even the innocents that were talking to the police, and now they are at risk for all kinds of nasty things.

Bad idea dude.

Not at all. Being confronted by a police officer is a terrible position to be in for anyone.
The little girl should have taken the advice of everyone else in this thread, and got the hell out of the area when the cop was telling her to.

Boy at this rate we’re getting shitty cops forever because no one that’s going to be a good cop is going to be a cop.

5 Likes