Owner of oldest US brewery wins the hearts of trumpkins

My mom lives close to Asheville, itself a haven of good beer, and I live in Baltimore, which has a long history of being a beery-town. And gee whiz, what’s that queued up in my kitchen right now? It’s my new mash tun, and there’s water waiting to be boiled.

All of which is to say: Hey trump, go fuck yourself, and drink a Yuengling while you do it. All the rest of us will enjoy something tastier, and then we’ll piss on you when the rented beer needs returning.

3 Likes

OH, don’t mistake me for a beer snob. If I drink beer it is the most water downed commercial piss I can find.

2 Likes

LOL - fixed.

No bear sipping… though we did have a bear skin rug on the wall.

1 Like

I do so think, and I welcome any information you want to share! I’ve met dozens of people who know the Yuengling family well, but neither I nor any of my close friends have that kind of inside view. I’ve never met Dick (although I was on a swim team in Newark, DE from 1966 to 1975, so that’s yet another odd tidbit we have in common :slight_smile: ) so I am sure you are a far better source of information than me. Well, on his character, anyway - I am very familiar with his beer. :beers:

Yes, I do. I’m reasonably familiar with how the EPA handles this kind of thing; the ANSP managed some EPA contracts in the 1990s when I was there. I may be able to double-check this, because I have a long association with Stroud and can easily get permission to directly access their databases. I’ll let you know if I see any smoking guns. The EPA consent decree specifies that there will be audits of the brewery’s outflow, which will probably be performed by a third party and funded by the EPA to prevent conflict of interest.

Me too! Of course I’m a Delaware native, where giant corporations pay most of the taxes and not the citizenry - it’s kind of our thing. When I was looking at buying my house, I discovered that crossing the state line into PA raised my tax burden by five times - literally, not exaggerating - mostly because of school and property tax. But I am certainly accustomed to hearing my PA relatives wailing and gnashing their teeth over taxes :slight_smile: .

This makes perfect sense to me.   And personally I feel like it’s very important for Americans to do whatever we can with our daily expenditures to support our beliefs and causes.   I just don’t see any need to drum up additional reasons to do so based on media spin of sketchy criticism - just the fact that some portion of the money spent on Yuengling products is likely to find its way into the campaign seems sufficient.

I just wish Lancaster beers were as affordable as Yuengling… the milk stout is super tasty. My friends say “sure, it’s twice as expensive as Yuengling Porter, but it has twice the alcohol content” to which I reply “yeah, but I don’t want to drink less beer! Getting hammered is not the point!”

3 Likes

Bell’s doesn’t hit WV, but Great Lakes does and that becomes a very good thing this week.

3 Likes

Give it a bit more time, they’re slowly radiating outward from MI.

I really wish Great Lakes would make it to New England. Love the Elliot Ness, Burning River, and Edmund Fitzgerald.

2 Likes

We have Newark, Delaware in common, too. I am a UD grad and lived in Claymont while working in Philly. Took Septa from Marcus Hook every day.

1 Like

When you visit Asheville, have some Burial for me. Found them a month after they opened, and wanted to move in. They got better in the last 3 years.

2 Likes

I always made one prayer to God, a very short one. Here it is: “O Lord, make our enemies quite ridiculous!” God granted it.

-Voltaire

7 Likes

I greatly enjoyed the last “Brewery cruise” I did through the city, although the last two places were somewhat of a blur. There’s seriously good beer in and around Asheville these days!

1 Like

I haven’t shopped there in ages. Lowe’s has a better atmosphere and 95% of the time the local Ace Hardware has what I need and the staff there are awesome.

4 Likes

Thanks for doing all that research!

1 Like

The point being that if people are going to boycott an organization for supporting Trump why not go for the bigger (gold) fish. Diminishing a forgettable brewery would have far less impact than lowering the stock price of a national chain such as HomeDepot. Think big people.

I agree that Lowes is a better hardware store for sure and local Ace stores are fantastic too. Extra kudos to Ace Hardware for opening a franchise in Kabul https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/28/us-home-improvement-store-afghanistan Suck it Home Depot!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! If I’d known @malarkey was a Pottsville native, though, I would’ve just passed the buck ;).

1 Like

Marcus retired 14 years ago, so it’s not really the same. In Yuengling’s case–it’s the owner and current president of the company (which bears his name) kissing up to the sack 'o shit.

As far as I know, no one in the current upper-management of Home Depot has endorsed Trump, much less given fawning tours of their facilities to his sociopathic spawn.

Thus, it’s clear to any rational person that boycotting Home Depot is completely unwarranted! COMPLETELY!!!*
*None of this passionate defense has anything to do with the fact that I live much closer to Home Depot than Lowes or Ace.

3 Likes

You might be interested in this.

1 Like

There are probably enough people out there who make a point of buying Orson Scott Card’s books because of his politics that you and they cancel each other out.

I can think of only one case in which political views basically crippled an entertainment career.

Hey, whatever rocks their boat. I’m not trying to hurt with my actions as avoiding supporting. And with the beer situation, I have it easy since I live in Munich. No Yuengling here to be found anyways.

3 Likes

You’re talking about their statement in 2003?

From your link:

As of 2015, Dixie Chicks have won 13 Grammy Awards, including five in 2007 for Taking the Long Way—which received the Grammy Award for Album of the Year—and “Not Ready to Make Nice”, a single from that album. By December 2015, with 30.5 million certified albums sold, and sales of 27.5 million albums in the U.S. alone, they had become the top selling all-female band and biggest-selling country group in the U.S. during the Nielsen SoundScan era (1991–present).

Boy, that political statement really “crippled their entertainment career”! /s

9 Likes