Palm Springs AIDS memorial sculpture to be changed because residents say it looks like a giant anus

Originally published at: Palm Springs AIDS memorial sculpture to be changed because residents say it looks like a giant anus | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Palm Springs? They could put up another AIDS sculpture, and rename that one the Koch Memorial (after adding the two hands).

14 Likes

19 Likes

I mean, it kinda sorta does… Could have been a contender:

1 Like

I have a strong feeling that the detractors would be the more likely to have never seen an actual anus.

13 Likes

I can imagine their reaction if they saw some art made to raise questions.

6 Likes

I feel like there’s bigger assholes in Palm Springs.

15 Likes

Queen Victoria would be amused.

Parade11

3 Likes

Gene Brake, a local resident and founder of the Jose Sarria Foundation, told [KESQ-TV], "The proposed memorial looks like a graphic depiction of the backside of a human being

Graphic? Even if you think it looks like one, it’s a very stylized one. It’s not as though it’s an enlarged exact body cast of someone’s nether regions.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Apparently some residents believe the nine-foot limestone sculpture looks like a giant anus.

Look on the bright side – there are no dingleberries. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

(Image wouldn’t load on post for me, here it is from the linked-to tweet.)

5 Likes

Hey, a city I drive through regularly beat them to it.

5 Likes

Or their heads are far up it.

5 Likes

Don’t tell them about the Gateway Arch in St. Louis

4 Likes

Christ, what an asshole!

8 Likes

OK, that one is just silly. Anyone who thinks that big gold ring looks like an anus just has some kind of pathological obsession with anuses. Someone is wearing a wedding band? Haha, it’s a finger up an anus! Olympics logo? Five interlocking anuses! The number one million? A little penis chasing six anuses!

15 Likes

I think it looks like a millstone.

11 Likes

Yeah I don’t think the view as shown in the rendering included in the post was the problem. But seen from the… ah, rear… I understand where the critics are coming from.

9 Likes

GOAT

5 Likes