Paramount announces another Star Trek show

Through normal means tho. Nero was the first time traveler to do so while carrying a sphere of red matter. That clearly changes things :wink:

3 Likes

Star Trek lost me when they blew up Vulcan and then Vulcan later returned.

The whole time travel timeline changing in movies in an attempt to keep something going is silly.

So I end up watching each movie as a single story.

The original Planet Of The Apes did a bizarre time loop that made zero sense as well.

3 Likes

That’s the beauty of alternate realities. In the Kelvin movie verse, Vulcan was destroyed (stupidly)
in the main prime verse, Vulcan is still alive and kicking.

1 Like

*huffily checks manual of parliamentary procedure to see whether fan-made wikis constitute canon*

But none of those were created by time-travellers messing about with history.

Ah, the argument from applied phlebotinum. I could be convinced by that …

1 Like

I find them to be pretty good on canon, actually…

Now, you might believe it’s dumb or makes no sense, which is like… your opinion man… but it very much is part of ST canon that the shenanigans with Nero kicked off a new timeline. Whether that would have been the case if they had not created a new series and had to think about how the films were going to be incorporated if at all is another question - but the way the post-Abrams shows have dealt with it is that it is an alternate timeline…

7 Likes

Clearly this thread is going to receive a visit from the Department of Temporal Investigations soon…

As of 2373, James T. Kirk had the biggest file on record in the Department, with seventeen recorded temporal violations.

16 Likes

Star Trek Laughing GIF

12 Likes

How do you know? Your entire argument is based on the assumption that the various alternate timelines caused by time travel ceased to exist when we stopped looking at them, and that the alternate timelines that seemed to persist were not created by time travel.

But for all we know the universe where Edith Keeler lived and the Nazis won WWII is still out there, as is the one where the Enterprise-C didn’t save the Klingon colony even though they returned to their time to sacrifice themselves in Yesterday’s Enterprise. We just don’t see them any more because they were shown in an episodic show that moved on to the next story the following day.

Like @Mindysan33 says, the current writers of Star Trek have decided that the Prime and Kelvin timelines are separate and both continue onwards. In fact, series 3 of Discovery mentioned a Starfleet officer from the Kelvin Timeline’s 24th century, showing that the 32nd century Federation are actually aware of that universe

3 Likes

I just want the Captain Kirk universe from 1966 -1991.

Everything else is just not Star Trek to me. That’s not to say it’s not good SciFi but it’s just not my Star Trek.

2 Likes

From Discovery

Continuity

10 Likes

I bet there are pages upon pages of fan fic about those timelines, tho… and I bet one day, some of those fan fic writers are gonna become professional writers that end up writing yet another star trek show in the future, exploring just those things…

doctor who spoilers GIF

Okay… now… hear me out. I want a new DS9 series, but that somehow connects the origins of the Mirror, Mirror universe with that series and all the Sisko/prophet stuff…

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

7 Likes

There is a pretty good chance the closest you will get to that will be this new series. Same ship, same timeline.

4 Likes

They may say that, but what does the text say?

Oh. OK then.

*rips up notes, goes off to start a fight on a Doctor Who thread on whether the UNIT stories took place in the 1970s or 1980s*

3 Likes

Star Trek’s time travel is pretty messed up now. You might say it’s a bit Timey-Wimey.

12 Likes

Be careful what you wish for. That’s how we ended up with that Timeless Child nonsense in Doctor Who.

1 Like

The current writers are writing the text…

1 Like

Im hoping that we get a surprise visit from The Sisko in Picard S2 since it looks like we are traveling back to the time of the sanctuary districts on Earth.

2 Likes

But that doesn’t make their interpretation of it infallible …

I would honestly love a new film or show, but DS9 is the red headed step child of ST, despite how much influence it clearly has on the more recent shows…

6 Likes

It makes it canon… They literally update the show bible that shapes all the current series. Again, you can have an opinion on what they’ve been doing, but that doesn’t make it less true.

6 Likes