Paramount announces another Star Trek show

Make America Star Trek Great Again

10 Likes

I’m quite happy they’ve at least been referencing it in Lower Decks and Picard.

4 Likes

Agreed. Although your connection of the MU and the Prophets/Sisko certainly would go a long way to justify why DS9 felt the need to dip into the MU so many damn times.

2 Likes

jodie whittaker what GIF by Doctor Who

Yep! Is and always will be my favorite Trek!

6 Likes

ds9-odo-smile

13 Likes

ezgif-3-c57906aec3b9

10 Likes

I don’t agree. If it’s not seen or heard in the show, it’s still up for debate.

But, as @lorcan_nagle pointed out, the coexistence of the timelines apparently has been established in the show, so I shall withdraw, grumbling about the illogicality of having two conflicting models of temporal metaphysics in one show, and taking what comfort I can from @akbar5656 ‘s red matter theory.

Star Trek Slapping GIF

Why do I even bother…

12 Likes

Nah it was worth it.

8 Likes

Have you never heard of Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations?

ezgif-1-69b500e541

Personal taste is just that. If a piece of art doesn’t speak to you, that’s fine. But I’d hesitate at making such a declarative “not Trek” statement. If a work continues long enough, it grows, evolves, and (hopefully) gets better. Star Trek has been telling stories for over 50 years now, and I’m grateful for that, even if I haven’t caught up with all of the explosion of new Trek content yet. (Heck, I’m even behind on the Orville, which I’d consider an unofficial extremely-divergent timeline, much removed.)

12 Likes

My mom was a big Star Trek fan, and so the period that I’m most nostalgic about is the 90’s era. I haven’t kept up with the new stuff. Honestly though, hearing about new things from online fandoms is a really good way to never want to experience the thing.

6 Likes

If you are a fan of 90s trek, ignore the fandoms (there have always been jerks in that realm) and check out Lower Decks. Great fun, great characters, tons of easter eggs/ fan service (that never detracts from the story) and works well in the world post TNG/DS9/VOY.

6 Likes

If you miss the news do we all risk disappearing!?

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

9 Likes

In my experience, it depends which corners of the fandom you wander into. I’ve been fortunate in my Trekkie associations, though there’s still been arguments and “drama” (for lack of a better word, as there are truly serious discussions being held on gatekeeping and living Trek values in real life.) I do want to catch up eventually, it’s just a matter of time and paywalls right now.

7 Likes

Wait, what?

I’m not sure how to reconcile “My personal beliefs are that if it isn’t in the show it doesn’t exist”, and “the coexistence of the timelines apparently has been established in the show,”, with “I don’t agree”, when _that’s literally what @Mindysan33 is saying.

Believe what you want to believe and enjoy your fandom as you see fit, but we draw the line at bad-faith arguments when other mutants are literally trying to help give you information here.

Some of the best experiences I had were on the ST Cruise, where I got to literally ask questions of ST writers who talked - in detail - about the painstaking process they go through to get all this right. My favourite quote from those discussions, paraphrased was “You may not agree with our decisions, but don’t believe for a second there wasn’t blood on the walls in the writers rooms as we tried to figure out the best way forward for the fans.”

14 Likes

I don’t know what the possible difference could be between me saying that and others saying the same…

Screaming Internally Star Trek GIF

star trek GIF by HULU

12 Likes

I think the best thing about Lower Decks is that it’s never making fun of Star Trek, it’s funny, and it’s often making jokes about Star Trek, but it’s clearly coming from a place of love, even as they call out, say Dr. Crusher for sleeping with a candle ghost.

10 Likes

There are two things I thought would never work in Trek, that I’ve been proven wrong about just in the last two years:

1 - that the timeline was too much of a mess to go forward. Joke’s on me there.
2 - that lower decks could never get away with making fun of Trek and everyone still find it respectful of Trek at the same time. They did exactly that :smiley:

14 Likes

That’s… an opinion, but not one I can entirely agree with, especially given the many contradictions in continuity and timeline shenanigans over more than 50 years of content. And that’s only if you look at the filmed media and not the many tie-in novels and short stories, which are generally considered non-canon… but some of them were co-written by actors about their characters, which to my mind at least gives them more consideration as “valid” than your average work-for-hire novel.

Besides, it’s the nature of the fandom to discuss details, nitpick, theorize, and make wild-ass guesses about even the smallest things. It’s just what we do. EVERYTHING is up for debate! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11 Likes

But it’s also not up for debate, as the writers of the current shows have made pretty clear that this is canon… :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes