Parent Hacks: illustrated guide is the best kind of parenting book

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/04/05/parent-hacks-illustrated-guid.html

The latest incarnation of Parent Hacks is the best yet: Parent Hacks: 134 Genius Shortcuts for Life with Kids, with illustrations from Craighton Berman.

Personally, I had much more trouble learning which was right and which was left than I did figuring which shoe went on which foot.

6 Likes

I still have this problem. I can only tell because I know I’m “right” handed…

6 Likes

Oh I am not the only one… good. I mean I figured there were other people out there like that but it is nice to hear it from someone else.

7 Likes

Even now I’ll have no trouble switching between driving on the left and right, but don’t ask me to give directions to the driver.

2 Likes

I take it as a sign that our corpus callosum are extra big and connect-y. :wink:

3 Likes

“no, the other right!”

for me it’s a small scar on the left thumb I can feel with the forefinger

5 Likes

Oh, it’s dead simple! It’s your starboard side.

5 Likes

Asha is fantastic! In the world of “hacks” – hers are the most consistently helpful, and entertaining.

1 Like

Wow, by mother must have been a terrible parent. She taught me how to tell left from right shoes by just looking at their shape. The monster!

2 Likes

How did I never think of this? Abbreviations of directions they don’t understand will help my illiterate children immensely!

We just submitted this paper, from work I contributed to:

“Atypical white-matter microstructure in congenitally deaf adults: a region of interest and tractography study using diffusion-tensor imaging.”

We didn’t assess handedness, but there are good reasons why spatial skills (and other things like audio processing) might be linked to white matter development and maintenance.

5 Likes

so much dumb eighties/nineties scifi and not a single one predicted that by the futuristic year 2016 the main activity of “hackers” be upcycling garbage to tidy up cables and cleaning things w. vinegar and or baking soda

2 Likes

The cooks in my grade school cafeteria did that bread-heel inside-out trick. It fooled no one.

1 Like

RatBoy the Elder has great trouble with left and right but knows port and starboard perfectly. What can I say? Weird parents, weird kids.

5 Likes

Am I the only one who has never heard the crust of the bread referred to as a heel? Is it a US thing that doesn’t translate to New Zealand? Am I just hopelessly ignorant? Can someone let me know??

1 Like

What do they call it in NZ?

No idea about NZ but in Germany it has more words than inhabitants, the following list was collected in Rhineland-Palatinate alone.

Knärz Knärzel Knärzelche Knarzel Knarzelche Knärzi Knärzje Knärzche Knätzje Knorze Knörzje Knaus Knäuschen Knaischen Knaisje Knaisjen Knaisel Knieschen Kneppche Knippche Kneppel Kruste Krüstje Kruscht Kreschtche Krischtche Kreschdel Krischdel Kurscht Kürschtsche Korscht Körschtche Karscht Kärschtche Kierschtche Schäbbelsche Schäbbelchen Boppes

I thought Atlas der deutschen Alltagssprache (a isogloss project for German dialects) had one for the endpiece of bread, but it seems I misremembered. So here are two for something similar, the top one covers longish bread roll, the second are terms for round rolls.

3 Likes

The crust(s)

2 Likes

Interesting! At least here in the Midwest in the U.S., the “crust” is the darker part all around the outside, not just the ends.

2 Likes