Parents rent drug-sniffing dogs to search teens' bedrooms

ok? Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. You just seem really angry in your replies. I guess I didn’t explain my point of view well enough. I was just trying to explain why I myself find the concept of smoking a bowl with my kids as being weird and my background on drug use. I did so poorly, clearly.

I’m super chill bruh.

I had assumed that your being grossed out was in some was loaded by your cultural intersection with cannabis in some form or another, I’m just a little surprised that you would invoke brain damage as a retort to my asking why it would be so gross to share a smoke with your kid and not (and I’m assuming you wouldn’t here) being grossed out at sharing a glass of wine with your kid at dinner.

I just assumed that the cultural weight which was influencing you was along the lines of ‘bad kids smoke weed’ not ‘it’ll harm ya brain’. Which I guess could be assumed about large quantities of any drug… hell any thing.

Just as a gauge, would you be grossed out by a parent allowing their teenager to have a glass of wine at dinner?

2 Likes

I promised myself that I would never have this relationship with my child. There’s a supreme difference between discipline and guidance and what amounts to terrorism. There’s also the fact, and I have to point this out even though this is an unpopular opinion to have: That children are actually human beings. People with their own personalities not entirely attributable to upbringing. Freud died a long time ago now, parents need to stop pretending like control of every aspect of their child’s life will turn them into a Great Person.

4 Likes

No. That is the parents choice. Would I let my kids join in? Probably not.

Why not? Afraid they’d turn into cheese eating surrender monkeys? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Those PSAs really did you in, huh?

3 Likes

yeah, they kind of did.

1 Like

Well that’s, like, your opinion, man.

The first time I ever puffed was with my dad, and I smoked with many of my friends’ parents when we were in high school (they all knew our parents were ok with it). Most of us didn’t turn out anything like the stereotype you’re trying to paint. Personally, I find it kind of gross that there are still people out there who think it’s any of their business what I smoke.

3 Likes

Exactly. No need to get bent out of shape. I’m not demanding that anyone follows my lead, or that someone is a terrible parent for doing it. I’m not sure how many more times I’m going to have to say it is not my place to judge someone based on their choices in their life. Maybe I should get it tattooed across my face.

They were making a ‘The Dude’ reference.

1 Like

I know. It was more in reference to the rest of the post. I’m not stereotyping, they are actually people I’ve known since high school, and my feelings at the time. I’m not saying that “Reefer Madness” was a scientific documentary.

1 Like

I’m guessing that tattoos of context-less slogans across your face are also a bad example to be setting. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Especially when I point to it in real life during an internet argument. Sorry, my brain meds wore off and my attention just latched onto this thread.

1 Like

Does it? What is the duty to report if a minor is found by a professional drug dog handler to be in the possession of illegal drugs? He may say “completely confidential” but the law may say otherwise.

1 Like

My mom never would’ve considered doing this. Mainly because the dog would’ve gone straight to her stash, not mine.

3 Likes

That’s the problem: it doesn’t. By definition, the parents who hire canine units to search their kids’ rooms are not the sort to go for education and counseling.

Pro tip: education and counseling comes first, throughout family life, and then you’re much less likely to find yourself bringing in a militaristic team against your own kids.

6 Likes

Whatever stage your kid is in, just wait…the next one is coming. And then the next one.

5 Likes

That’s not necessarily true. There are people who are at their wits end who have tried many other methods. I concede some might use this as the first thing, but for many this could be used as the last thing.

I find it curious so many people are quick to assume the parents must be failing, when I know many people where it is the kids who are failing. No one here knows of a total fuck up who despite the privilege and 2nd chances still manages to screw up his or her life, even though their siblings seem relatively stable? Is this another example of people just assuming everyone is a victim, vs taking some personal responsibility? Though to be clear, I am in no way saying there aren’t parents who fuck things up or make it worse.

I agree that the incentive for a false positive on this privately contracted service is less than that for a law enforcement initiated search. But I disagree that there is no such incentive.

Parents aren’t shelling out $99 for peace of mind; this is not “trust, but verify.”

I submit they only contract this service when they strongly suspect their kid is in possession, and need the dog to have a “hit” to bolster their position when they confront their kid.

I would like to be a fly on the wall to observe the interaction between parent and K9 handler on those rare (10%) occasions when the dog doesn’t hit on anything.

I want to be a fly on the wall to observe the familial interaction when the dog exhonerates the kid. Does the kid ever even find out about the search? Are the parents’ suspicions truly allayed?

5 Likes

Well hey, you’re on bb, so surely that’s the case! Thank goddess you’re here to show us the errors of our wayward librul ways yet again.

(Pro-tip: “personal responsibility” is a tipoff for “You libruls and your explanatory context, making everything more complicated than it is. Can’t you see that rare exceptions somehow disprove the rule?!”)

1 Like