Parrot is really pissing off this cat big time

[Permalink]

1 Like

I’ve never met an African Grey that wasn’t some kind of asshole.

8 Likes

It’s pretty sad when your food plays with you. (insert “In Soviet Russia” joke here)

5 Likes

Have you ever met an African Grey that wasn’t wrested from its natural social milieu and put into a living situation that was completely unnatural?

4 Likes

Among exotic birds, all of which have the same circumstance of being out of their natural element, African Greys are relative douchebags. I’ve lived with birds including Greys, I’ve even carried a Bald Eagle. Her head is nearly the same size as mine, which was terrifying. She was better behaved than a Grey.

8 Likes

Why should birds be what you/we think of as “well-behaved”? I’m with Space Monkey. I spent a hour in Costa Rica once just watching a pair of scarlet macaws interact with each other; they looked beautiful and intelligent, and very happy not in cages…

Same could be said of cats.

5 Likes

I’m slightly more interested in just why the cat puts up with it for so long.

3 Likes

Yes, all of them. No companion parrot is “wrested” from anything today. All wild caught exotic birds are banned from import or sale - multiple generations of all parrots (at least in the U.S.) now have been bred and hand reared in aviculture.

There are a few larger birds still alive that would have been caught in the wild, but I assure you this Grey was not. And having a cat for a friend isn’t unnatural.

All parrots are assholes sometimes. They have the intellectual and emotional capacity of a 2 year old - of course they’re assholes. Unfortunately we tend to reinforce their bad behaviors.

Have you ever been bitten by an African Grey Parrot? I haven’t, but judging by the fact that African Greys are able to crack open a walnut with their beak, I’d bet that they can do all kinds of nasty things to a cat.

Especially since their beaks are scissor shaped for eating fruit.

I don’t know much about parrot behavior, and have no idea whether the behavior shown is meant to intimidate or show dominance, or if it was attempting to groom the cat. In any case, my policy with most animals, including birds, is that it’s best to stay out of reach and observe. Especially with birds, because they’re a significant non-human reservoir and a vector for lice, and ain’t nobody got time for those itchy little bloodsuckers.

1 Like

I’ve been bitten by a large macaw, through welding gloves. It could easily have taken a finger off. The scar is faint now, but that was about eighteen years ago.

Note to self: next time, wear those chainmail oyster-shucking gloves.

2 Likes

That’s what makes them great pets: it’s when they’re assholes they’re at their most human.

3 Likes

You two need to hug it out

The funny thing is that the Gray is thinking the same thing. lol

Story checks out…

http://www.parrots.org/index.php/encyclopedia/captivestatus/grey_parrot/

“Due to their sensitive natures they may develop behavioral problems.”

Also the appeal of Siamese cats.

2 Likes

I’ve been bitten by a Kea (NZ mountain parrot). It wanted my pen. I wanted my pen. Kea won.

3 Likes

Keas are assholes. They work in gangs to mug tourists.

One of them waddles over in the road, looking all photogenic at distract the tourists who are now taking pics of this fat, moth-eaten and comical looking parrot. Meanwhile, his mates are having a great time ripping parts of their rental cars. I swear I spotted one hiding a rattle-gun under his wing…

3 Likes

Oh yeah - having had Siamese, Burmese and plenty of rescue moggies, I now understand what makes Siamese different is that they’re just more concentrated Essence Of Cat.