Parrot requests ice cream

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/26/parrot-requests-ice-cream.html

6 Likes

I see your ice cream parrot and raise you a R2D2 budgie :nerd_face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q6utsksoFY

6 Likes

Train the parrot to say Alexa first.

[That XKCD]

7 Likes
3 Likes

Of course if the bird was really requesting ice cream, the iterations of “ice cream” would trail off, and there’d be varying and escalating attempts at getting the human minion to meet the request (“how do I access the humans’ ice cream delivery system?”).

“Ice cream” having lodged in its vocabulary, you wonder what it means to the bird, if anything: Is this a contact call, or its “name” for the human, or the bird trying to impress with its mimicry?

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if parrots could process dairy but i guess they can. I did a search for it:

Dairy

Because you should avoid feeding your parrot foods that have a high fat content, you should limit the amount of dairy products your feathered pal consumes. Dairy items like butter, milk or cream and cheese aren’t considered toxic but are considered unhealthy’ feed them to your bird sparingly and on occasion.

1 Like

FYI, the video is not edited. The bird repeats that all the time ad nauseum and that’s why we just rescued a feral cat.

2 Likes

After growing up in a household where parrots were bred, this brings back some “fond” memories. Mostly, we bred Amazons that were pretty similar to this one; at most, they’d learn a few catch phrases and stick to them ad nauseum before we sent them home to their new adoring owners.

We had one African Grey that took the cake in her relentless imperative to call attention to herself. She mastered the ‘Hey!’ ‘Hey!’ ‘HEEEEYYYY!’ series, knew all of our names (though she couldn’t quite handle the ‘St’ at the beginning of my dad’s name, so she called him ‘Beve’), and would do improv-jam whistling sets that usually opened with the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly theme. Sadly, the day she decided to bite Beve on the nose was the signal for the end of her time with us (prompting my Mom’s adventure of flying from Maine to Texas with a screaming parrot in the plane).

3 Likes

Give the parrot some ice cream damnit! He really wants some ice cream.

1 Like

i fucking love vids of birds swearin’

1 Like

Then you are absolutely gonna love Pebble!

3 Likes

Oh no. He seems to be saying “ice cream,” but actually it’s…

That reminds me of the infamous Fire in the Sky scene with the needle in the eye

1 Like

Off topic, but this is still a favourite:

1 Like

Ice Cream Parrot’s not a fuckin’ legend though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.