Parts of Stonehenge may have been schlepped across Great Britain from other monuments

Originally published at: Parts of Stonehenge may have been schlepped across Great Britain from other monuments | Boing Boing

1 Like

High time that the Welsh demanded the return of their cultural heritage!

11 Likes

*ironic Greek laughter

7 Likes

‘We tried to deliver your henge order, but no one was home to accept it, so we’ve left it with a neighbouring country.’

13 Likes

Ah, Ironic, my favourite order of Greek architecture.

13 Likes

My money’s on this being a war trophy. One group conquered another, and decided to remove the defeated group’s sacred stones, thereby transferring the mojo to the victorious group.

4 Likes

So that settles it then.

It was aliens.

4 Likes

One of the greatest henges in the world!

2 Likes

stonehenge

6 Likes

I too am in favour of the Celts getting Wiltshire back

2 Likes

Wasn’t one of the myths that Merlin took the stones from Wales?

6 Likes

Well hey, i think we’d put them to good use!

2 Likes

Could it be imported from France?

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I remember from the stories. He did it in a single night, IIRC

5 Likes

Not true, as it happens. I watched a programme on this exact discovery earlier this evening, presented by the lovely Professor Alice Roberts, and during that period, there were different tribes, but largely the same ethnic groups. It appears that the discovery of a naturally occurring geographical glacial feature that aligned perfectly with the Solstices on what is now Salisbury Plain, encouraged the builders of the original circle in what is now West Wales to dismantle the circle of Blue Stones, load them onto wooden custom-built sledges, and haul them across country using natural valleys the south Wiltshire, and reassemble the circle in a landscape already noted for its large number of features used for celebrations and worship.
That circle was rearranged a number of times, until the large Sarsen Stones that make up the larger outer ring of Trilithons were brought from West Woods, near Marlborough, about twenty miles away.
It’s a fascinating programme, these new discoveries are extraordinary, and have opened up a whole new way of looking at the landscape involving Avebury, Stonehenge, Woodhenge, Durrington Walls, and now West Wales.
This photo is one I took in West Woods, showing Sarcen Stones lying among bluebells in early Spring.
It’s a lovely place.

8 Likes

Did he have time to take a break from Carnac?

4 Likes

bluestones (named for their color)

I would have assumed they were named for their mood, thanks.

The Neolithic Britons were literally carrying the weight of their ancestors with them

Actually, they were figuratively carrying the weight of their ancestors with them.

Thanks, that is all.

2 Likes

The Norwegians certainly think so:

3 Likes

Well, my g/f is already ahead of the game; she speaks Welsh, although she was born on the King’s Road in Chelsea. Me, I was born in Wiltshire, and I’d be happier with Wessex becoming an independent entity, but if Wales wants to join the party, I’m not going to be a party-pooper and turn them down; there aren’t any tolls on the two Severn Bridges now, so everyone’s free to come and go.

I’m a bit odd because I would support Wales taking Cumbria back. I don’t mind Scotland taking it too.

A word of advice though, let England keep Carlisle. You don’t want that part. I should know, I spent 25 years trying to get away from there.

1 Like