Pastor Jonathan Shelley shows up at Texas city council to say gay people should be executed (video)

And the City Council members? Stone silence.

That’s how it’s done. Everybody gets their three minutes of public comment (per the constitutional right to petition) and then the subject is closed. The elected officials don’t elevate the subject by reacting to the provocation.

My better half serves on a school board. Every month, a few people get up to bloviate for three minutes. (This month it was “the school nurse should not keep Naloxone on the premises. It’s a drug! You don’t fight a drug with another drug!”) The board members restrict their comments to procedural matters (“your time is up”). They do not engage.

18 Likes

Through some legislative maneuvering, and a judicial cock-block, the IRS was unable to audit any religious organization for quite a number of years.

Basically it was unclear which IRS official could authorize it. (So why not pass it to the f’ing director?)

That’s been unfrozen now, after they found the Ring of Power of Church Auditing, but meanwhile because of cuts, the IRS is reluctant to get into heavy legal cases, plus the political backlash because almost all of those grifters will be Republican supporters.

17 Likes

Give up, let these vile stochastic terrorists spew violent rhetoric all they want until they foment genocide against their neighbors? Are you going to lay down like a lamb to be slaughtered by these warriors of “Christianity”?

I’d prefer a more equitable outcome wherein these terrorists are arrested and appropriately prosecuted, tried and imprisoned before their “leadership” kills thousands of people.

@RickMycroft: Yes, I know all that, thus my original comment. It will disproportionally hit ‘megachurches’, but those are the biggest grifters, and it will hit the not-as-big pocket books of violent bigots pretending at “Christ’s love” like the a-hole in the OP.

13 Likes

I, for one, am afflicted with this, and I live in Texas!
ETA: AKA TexASS…
It astounds me to hear about Klan rallies Up North… and RWNJs running wild in New England.

R.I.P. Grumpy Cat

True.
We need to make a distinction between the ‘leadership’ & the residents of the South.
Again, it is a task to overcome indoctrination & propaganda.

6 Likes

I apologize for not making myself clear. I want to hammer assholes like this with everything available.
I don’t care if it’s seen as “political”. They are political. A PAC pretending to be a church.

Taking away their Tax exempt status? Great!
Declare them a domestic terrorist group? Very appropriate
Tell this guy and anyone who takes him seriously to go phuq themselves? I’m there!
Find out which politicians get this guy’s endorsement? Support their opposition.

I want to create conditions where scum like this are too embarrassed to speak their crap in mixed company. Where anyone trying to bring them into mainstream discussions about is shamed and pilloried into obscurity.

16 Likes

I’m glad we’re more or less on the same page after all. Your reply came off as flippant/apathetic to me. These people are dangerous and we can’t lose sight of that.

9 Likes

My bad. My flippancy was concerning the feigned complaints, not the action.
Again, I take all responsibility for being misconstrued and apologize.

13 Likes

The tag "CHRISTIANS" PRETENDING TO BE CHRISTIANS gives waaay too much ground to Christians/“Christians”. Christians are neither any better nor worse than any other human being. The success of the phrase “being Christian”/“that’s very Christian of you” line is a propaganda coup. Practically every other religion/association/cult have the same lofty goals, but somehow “that’s very Krishna of you” hasn’t made it yet.

The person who took the video evidently was on the side of the pastor: too many “amens” and “yups” to count!

2 Likes

Apology accepted! The internet’s continued failure to provide a proper sarcasm tag appears to have struck again.

7 Likes

So to be clear, is he calling for the thrice-married serial philanderer who recently occupied the White House to be put to death for his sins? I wonder how that would fly with his congregation.

15 Likes

“…but I can see it from here.”

:fearful:

14 Likes

I’d settle for them reading that one book properly and not skipping over the bits they don’t like.

9 Likes

Yeah, isn’t that a threat against former President pussygrabber?

8 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 8 hours.

Do you think the’ll go biblical in the “execution” phase?
Guns just so modern-

1 Like

This so-called ‘pastor’ obviously doesn’t know about the admonition ‘As you sow, so shall you reap.’

I’m in the weird position of being utterly unsurprised this happened in Arlington, while at the same time being pleasantly surprised that they acknowledge Pride Month in Arlington.

5 Likes

No, thank you.

I have an acquaintance (wouldn’t class them as a friend).
Reads the bibble over breakfast every day. Goes to happy-clappy every sunday religiously (I know).
Has a house full of bibbles and self-help claptrap.
They are my allotment neighbour, where, between weeding, I can be found reading.
After they asked me what I was reading they claimed “Oh, I never read fiction.”
To their face I genuinely replied: “I beg to differ.”
Landed about a mile over their head.
There is only one book in some people’s lives, sadly.

7 Likes