Patrick Stewart is back as Picard in new Star Trek series

Someone posted this on the BBS a while back and it’s kind of amazing…

9 Likes

Heck, some malfunction or another on the holodeck has almost ended it all for the Enterprise on several occasions, and that was built for recreation.

That’s like having a nuclear aircraft carrier that is occasionally brought to the brink of catastrophe by a malfunctioning video game arcade.

4 Likes

Reminds me of Nessus the Puppeteer’s speech in Ringworld where he explains that humans aren’t really that good at much except being really, really lucky.

1 Like

I’m not sure this hasn’t already happened.

In my opinion, the chances of someone accessing some shady online gaming site from a computer onboard of a nuclear aircraft carrier which is not completely and properly disconnected from some vital functions of said carrier are high.

OTH, chances that someone like Jean-Luc Picard is captain on such a vessel are, in my opinion, slim.

2 Likes

No worries, they run WfW - Windows for Warships.
Oh, wait…

1 Like

I would like to ask you to take a step back.

That is a point I, for one, found unpleasant about your comment.

We’ve seen so much bullshit and outright shit poured out in relation to #metoo that ironic comments are not in any way funny any more.

Your wording is, in context of sexual abuse, inadequate:

Sexual abuse is not a facet of a person or a role, but it is violence. Your attempt in irony falls flat and, worse, downplays the perspective of victims.

There is no need to discuss the matter of (well developed) character != (distinguished) actor (and activist) further, since other comments already covered this well.

I don’t expect you to fullheartedly agree, but I would be glad if you would consider my view and try to refrain from irony in regard to sexual abuse in your communication.

9 Likes

We actually know people who served on a Navy ship that was running Windows NT and had the entire computer system bluescreen because the cook wanted to download some new recipes from the Internet. smh

We visited an amphibious assault carrier with a friend who was serving aboard her.
DH (looks over tech’s shoulder on board ship) “Running Windows?”
Tech “mmmyeah”
DH “Breaks all the time, huh?”
Tech “Yeah.”
DH (looks at another screen) " UNIX box?"
Tech “Yep.”
DH “Just runs?”
Tech snickers. “Yup.”

8 Likes

Like, the ENTIRE system? Navigation and communications going down, nuclear reactor on the verge of going critical? Because it seems like that’s the kind of shit that happens on the Enterprise every time someone decides to cosplay Sherlock Holmes for an afternoon.

2 Likes

Don’t know for sure how far down it went, but the ship had to be towed back to port.

5 Likes

Dang. Still, I imagine that’s the kind of incident the Navy would take steps to insure didn’t happen twice.

4 Likes

Sisko was so terribly boring, so yeah probably be fine running starfleet.

1 Like

tenor%20(1)

See third paragraph.

6 Likes

That would be an awesome show.l

2 Likes

There are so many possibilities for Patrick Stuart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard
I imagine him as a mentor to young captains.
Together with Wil Wheaton, as a matured Wes, as elder statesmen, advising first contacters on the First Directive. (Or maybe trying to fix problems the Enterprise’s ignoring of the First Directive caused?) Him being lost on a remote planet after an experiment, maybe one of Barkley’s. As a sort of private investigator trying to find his way through a kind of film noir setting. (He always seemed to like this role in the holodeck episodes, didn’t he?)

To see him as a talk show guest on some kind of federation broadcast talking about his experiences, and
maybe afterwards reflecting on that in his personal log, would probably not carry a whole series. But we don’t know if his part would probably be a rather minor one until now, so… Why not?

The important thing is that they don’t try to hard to be contemporary. And don’t try to go to that rebooted mirror universe. Let him return, in the end, to that vineyard. On the way there, do what made TNG so interesting for many us: take some slightly futuristic settings and explore general human questions through developing characters.

3 Likes

“Back when I was a Borg, I learned . . .,” “Captain Kirk once told me . . .”, "I came to realize in a Cardassian prison camp that . . . " Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities there.

1 Like

Technically he had a less than 3 minute discussion with Admiral Nogura, and came out of it as a captain.

1 Like

“Galaga! That man is playing Galaga!”

1 Like

You’ve got me thinking now. The colonists on We Made It bought a hyperdrive from the Outsiders just in time to defeat the Kzinti. Okay that sounds like luck, but in fact it was design because the Puppeteers used a starseed lure to lead the Outsiders into that system. So by this evidence, Humans are not particularly lucky.

It was just careful manipulation against the Kzinti.

It’s the engine hum - the perfect level of soothing white noise. :wink:

5 Likes

Why those things even needed safety protocols in the first place and not baked into the firmware is an exercise best left to the viewer. But then as someone else said, the LCARS panels had an alarming propensity to explode as soon as you look at them so personal safety isn’t a high priority.

1 Like