Patrick Stewart is back as Picard in new Star Trek series

So, how some people feel about West Wing.

The return of Picard?

Consider me:

16 Likes

True. However, I think that since Picard would be the protagonist it would inevitably showcase the best in humanity even in the most dire circumstances.

3 Likes

i REFUSE to be cynical about this. this is a glimmer of something positive in a period when there is so very much to be cynical and doubtful about. if anyone can make this awesome, it’s Patrick Stewart.

18 Likes

But this isn’t an unknown character… as you note later in your post.

11th-doc-this

It’s just a shame that some people decided to take this very great news and use it to shitpost about metoo.

14 Likes

Right on; this is something to be joyful about - and I don’t know about anyone else, but I need all the joy I can get right now…

13 Likes

worf-smiles-hat

11 Likes

Well, making pretty blatant analogies for current events like segregation and the Cold War were a big part of the original Trek. It was somewhat toned down in Picard’s TNG, but there were still analogies for things like the Israel/Palestine conflict and so on. It wasn’t all cheery optimism.

5 Likes

Capt. Picard: I sincerely hope that this is the last time that I find myself here.
Q: You just don’t get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends.

Q was right, as always.

1 Like

I have this urge to watch “All Good Things” again
if a series has to end, end like that, wow such a great episode, he was fantastic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Good_Things…_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

1 Like

From the linked article: “The new series will not be a reboot of The Next Generation , but instead is being described as an exploration of the next chapter of Picard’s life.”

I do hope it will be about his further career as head of starfleet’s central procurement office. Contract awarding procedures are a lot more interesting than people think; and getting good equipment into the field is mission-critical.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking i’d watch a series where we follow picard’s passion project of restoring a decommissioned galaxy class for old time’s sake, in between going on archaeological adventures and performing ambassadorial duties. That’s a big old ship for being on your lonesome so perfect opportunity to reflect on his experiences.

1 Like

Is this Patrick Stewart returning to a starring role as Picard? Will Picard be a main character? Or is he guest starring in one episode where they go “Look, it’s Picard! He was on TNG! Well, back to business as usual!”?

Limited series. Picard is in it. What his role is, where the story goes and all that jazz is still in early stages.

Just finished CBS all Access trial. What a cluster …ck. Hard to cancel. The new ST series was all war with no humanity. I will wait for this on DVD, streaming.

1 Like

Yah, you missed most of the show then. It’s a different flavor of Star Trek to be sure but the core and greatness of Trek is all over Discovery.

It seems unlikely there would be many of those things just sitting around the scrapyard. I mean, our 21st-Century military has plenty of ships and even planes that have been in use for 50 years or more. The series finale even established that the Enterprise-D was still worthy of serving as an Admiral’s flagship 25 years in the future (with the addition of an extra nacelle glued on the back).

3 Likes

Back in the 90’s the Star Trek Encyclopedia set the service lifetime of a Galaxy-class ship at something like a century. That said, I’ll bet few make it to that age since Starfleet operates a fleet of deathtraps only the most talented of its engineers can keep from self-destructing.

7 Likes

I’m sort of expecting and not hoping that the new series consists of Picard turning into Boothby, the ancient gardener and groundskeeper at Starfleet academy, who dispenses wisdom and friendship to fresh faced cadets.

4 Likes

So true, some bean counter decided fuses for the bridge control panels would be a waste of money! Lord knows what else they scrimped on…

3 Likes