Paul Manafort wants to remove his ankle monitor, offers his Trump Tower condo as collateral

1 Like

sorry 'bout the Spacey - but - y’know

1 Like

So why make it even easier?

You keep ignoring this simple point. Yet again, there is NO measure that cannot be bypassed.

1 Like

I do not recall saying don’t bother, only that it’s about as secure as the fence the dog jumped over if he actually is a flight risk as the judge believed. A jail cell, while escape is still a remote possibility, is a hell of a lot more secure than a bracelet.

Let’s suppose for the sake of discussion that officials do decide they want to grant Manafort the freedom to travel the Eastern seaboard between fixed locations. Why would that need to entail permission to remove his ankle monitor? Do they not have ankle monitors with GPS and cell network connectivity that they can tell to make sure he doesn’t leave a defined region? “Yes, you can do to these locations in DC (etc.), but only by Amtrak, and you must take these specific routes to and from the train stations, and you must alert the authorities with X amount of notice about any plans to make such a move. Also, you must check in with us regularly during your travels.”

I still don’t think they should grant that request, but even if they did, it doesn’t need to entail not being tracked.

1 Like

I’m wondering if, to put the place up for collateral, it involves giving the court/DOJ access to the financing/papers/etc… in Trump’s building… auditing its actual value, etc. Also wondering if he’d get out of paying property taxes for the duration. It seems like a really interesting worm can, if you’ve got the right opener…

You want that thing off your ankle, you need to go the “Mad Max Final Scene” way.

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

But what if he chews it off?

Yeah, the guy wearing the $10,000 suit is going to wear an ankle monitor. COME ON!

3 Likes

Nothing says “not a flight risk” like “here, I’d be totally torn up by losing some condos in the jurisdiction that I totally would not flee!”

1 Like

I’m thinking his two biggest objections are not liking the idea of GPS tracking all his movements and the sheer indignity of it all. How is he supposed to clandestinely meet with people who can "fix"this for him if he’s being tracked?

As for indignity I say we strap about 50 of them to him including one on his forehead and rectally installing one around his shriveled little heart.

3 Likes

What I’d be more interested in seeing played out is Manafort indeed proving to be a flight risk and the subsequent shitstorm that rains down on the Trump administration as a result of the optics.

1 Like

If article headlined “Billionaire forced to wear ankle monitor” poor people might feel like there’s some kind of chance…

The SCRAM bracelet just needs contact with skin, anyone’s skin. (The photo of the bracelet with a sock under it is inaccurate; that would lead to a violation.) So Manafort could simply pay someone else to wear the thing and go about his day. They’re simple to remove with a star bit on a screwdriver. If you were quick about switching it from one person to another, it probably wouldn’t even be detected.

1 Like

Because wearing one is embarrassing. It makes him feel as though he is being treated like a criminal.

Of course, he is being treated far better than most suspected criminals would be but wearing that tag makes him feel like he’s being treated like some destitute shoplifter when, of course, he is a rich and important man. He shouldn’t be treated like a common criminal and he really doesn’t like it.

I think that’s all it is. No great flight plans. Why would he bother? It’s not like he faces more than a few pleasant years in some cosy private prison for rich white people.

Or remand.

Not sure this is what you intended, but that reads to me like his heart is located in a non-standard location. Seems accurate.

If Manafort were a poor, he’d be sitting in Riker’s. He ought to be glad he’s home with an ankle bracelet.

2 Likes

No one cares if someone tries to bomb New Jersey