Paul Reubens on how Sly Stallone inadvertently got Tim Burton to direct 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/paul-reubens-on-how-sly-stallo.html

5 Likes

This man is receiving the rehabilitation he deserves. I think highly of him regardless of his quite old-fashioned ‘offense.’ This may well be colored by Saturday mornings with Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, and the rituals revolving around it with friends and neighbors.

6 Likes

With the original HBO Pee Wee special as one of my all time favs, I read half this article thinking it was talking about Sly from Sly and the Family Stone, not Sly Stallone. Which makes a lot of sense in the recesses of my brain since they sing a quick medley of their songs in that original show. ‘Hooooooooo-waaaaaaaa’.

2 Likes

Paul Reubens is great! One of my favorite roles was his portrayal of the hairdresser/coke dealer in “Blow”.

5 Likes

nothing compares to his waiter role in The Blues Brothers :wink:

5 Likes

I think this mistake (disappointment) has followed sly stallone around through his career.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. It’s wonderful how all those interconnected and highly talented people were brought together, sometimes tangentially, and brought that picture into being. “Ak-tion packed” indeed.

3 Likes

Now I’m very curious as to who WB’s choice for director was.

2 Likes

talk about burying the lede – his david bowie story near the end is hilarious and such a great “behind the scenes” sort of thing.

4 Likes

And the tuxedo!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.