Peak Bill O'Reilly: “Confederate flag represents bravery,” not racist hate

Peak asshole today wasn’t even achieved by O’Reilly. Bill Kristol managed a feat of cranio rectal insertion that bent the laws of topology (on Twitter):

[quote]The Left’s 21st century agenda: expunging every trace of respect, recognition or acknowledgment of Americans who fought for the Confederacy.–BillKristol
[/quote]

(I added a citation in the quote because don’t want it to appear in quotes of this post that I said that.)

21 Likes

“Confederate flag represents bravery” …in fighting for slavery?

5 Likes

This is the same asshat who, just about every year, tells people that the 82nd Airborne massacred SS troops. Sweet Jesus I hate Bill O’Reilly.

So this reminds me about the swastika and how the Nazi’s turned it around by 45 degrees and kind of ruined it for the Indians. This is from Wikipedia about the good old swastika … The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune”

Try driving through Tel Aviv with some normal (Indian) swastikas and see how it goes.

I guess it’s the same with the Confederate flag - too many bad connections with too bad things have spoiled it.

Let it go guys.

I’ll be shocked when Bill doesn’t say something as stupid as it is hateful.

6 Likes

What are the good things it was connected to before the bad things spoiled it?

19 Likes

Frank and Nina, wow. We haven’t deserved either one of them, let alone both.

3 Likes

One of my favorite moments in Paradise Lost, at the conclusion of the debate among the fallen angels in Hell, when Satan departs to corrupt Earth:

Towards him they bend
With awful reverence prone; and as a God
Extoll him equal to the highest in Heav’n:
Nor fail’d they to express how much they prais’d,
That for the general safety he despis’d
His own: for neither do the Spirits damn’d
Loose all thir vertue; least bad men should boast
Thir specious deeds on earth, which glory excites,
Or clos ambition varnisht o’re with zeal.

Paradise Lost, Book 2, 476-485.

6 Likes

First the Left expunged every trace of respect, recognition or acknowledgment of Benedict Arnold who coat-turned to the Crown, but they weren’t satisfied.

10 Likes

Baloney. The confederate flag doesn’t represent any desire to break up the USA with force, not today it doesn’t. O’Reilly is right. Sixty percent of people surveyed in SC say the flag is OK. Are you going to tell us that 60% of the people in SC are racist? That 60% want to break up the USA? Good grief. Even 40% of blacks don’t think the flag should go. Get over it.

Yep.

Citation needed.

25 Likes

My SS Totenkopf is a symbol of bravery, not genocidal white supremacism!

6 Likes

People like O’Reilly are prepared to engage in extremely convoluted thinking to avoid stating the blazingly obvious. It’s almost as if there were right wing billionaires and media owners prepared to reward hugely people who were willing to defend their point of view…but that wouldn’t happen, surely, in an advanced society with a high rate of literacy?

8 Likes

If O’Reilly was British, I could easily imagine him supporting people who display the UDA flag.

Rich people living in mansions with expensive clothes and furniture, riding on horses and in carriages. Rich people who just happened to be slaveowners. Rich people who, if introduced to one of those flag-waving rednecks of today, would mutter “white trash” and instruct their servants that, should one of them knock on the door, they should be told the master is not at home and if necessary thrown in the cesspit.

17 Likes

Baloney. The confederate flag doesn’t represent any desire to break up
the USA with force, not today it doesn’t. O’Reilly is right. Sixty
percent of people surveyed in SC say the flag is OK. Are you going to
tell us that 60% of the people in SC are racist? That 60% want to break
up the USA? Good grief. Even 40% of blacks don’t think the flag
should go. Get over it.

As @weatherman says “Citation needed”. What survey? Who conducted the survey? How many people where surveyed?

What I see is an overwhelmingly large number of people calling for it to be removed. And its not only the Governor of South Carolina. The Governor of Virginia has ordered that the Confederate flag be removed form the state’s license plates
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/gov-mcauliffe-orders-confederate-flag-to-be-removed-from-virginia-license-plates/33728080

Walmart, Amazon, eBay, Etsy … all are pulling the Confederate merchandise from their shelves.

If the Confederate flag has such a large amount of support as you claim, then why the hell are big retailers pulling it from their shelves?

8 Likes

16 Likes

I think in honour of O’Reilly’s stand for divisive nationalistic symbols I’m going to have to wear a hammer and sickle badge for a week or two, in honour of the people who defeated Naziism. Ok, there was that bit about enslaving half of Europe but O’Reilly is telling us we shouldn’t let a bit of slavery and persecution count against a symbol.

8 Likes

Our news - well our TV news - doesn’t tend to tell us what to think.

Meanwhile here in Nashville the owner of the infamous Nathan Bedford Forrest statue remains defiant, and claims he’s not racist, although his suggestion that the Washington monument be painted black speaks volumes.

3 Likes