Pearl-clutching Pro-Trumpers file a complaint about a thing that didn't happen

Fertility dedicated shinto shrines are not uncommon in Japan. I visited the Sai shrine on Ikishima the other month, walking through the town I thought 'oh, what a lovely little shrine tucked in among modern buildings:

Then… oh. Oh my:

This jolly fellow outside the nearby souvenir shop looked far too pleased with himself:

14 Likes

It’s in L.A., so it will be heavily corporate and an entertainment industry circle-jerk. But there are enough shreds of aesthetic sensibility left to avoid the monster trucks.

7 Likes

(not directed at @jlw, rather the complaint)

1 Like

Just think of the parade of pickups they could do down the 405…

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, I just checked and it looks like Dallas put in a bid for the 2024 Olympics. If they had “won”, I have no doubt that monster trucks and semi-automatic weapons and celebrations of Jeebus would have been featured in the opening ceremonies.

3 Likes

Involving something like three apparent genders, yet…

which included an adult male purposefully exposing (himself) in the presence of a child/children

except… this didn’t happen.

The wingnuts keep sharing ONE screenshot in which one of the performers’ torn tights KindaSortaMaybe resemble a testicle for one split second. But in EVERY other still and clip from the performance, it is glaringly obvious that it’s just a tear in the thigh of his costume. (Which my wife informs me is where all tights tear eventually.)

I’ve been dealing with these people online for days. They WILL NOT BE CONVINCED it’s not a testicle, no matter how many other stills & video are provided that prove otherwise.

It’s. A. Cult.

7 Likes

But will that still be true in 4 years’s time.
Someone should open a book on things that will be seen, now. I’d happily take monster trucks. :wink:

And if the US artistic director of the opening shenanigans wants to slightly trolley the IOC, they could insert American football and baseball tableaux/parade floats as representative of US culture despite being not Olympic sports.

Yeah - it’s the nipple episode again, writ larger! :wink:

5 Likes

Remember this from Los Angeles 1984
All the usual people lost their shit!

Actual bronze genitalia on full display !!!

10 Likes

Still false: the characters in the performance were clearly not from the painting, though, much less the Bible. They were from the ancient Greek pantheon, as befitting the Olympics.

If a director takes inspiration from the painting Nighthawks, are they denigrating the Philidelphia Phillies?

ETA: Also, “Lol” isn’t punctuation.

13 Likes

That the actor playing Dionysus, Philippe Katerine, exposed his genitals to children?

Yeah, that claim is false.

Dude is clearly wearing matching blue undies.

Xtians co-opted stole imagery and iconography from pagan religions, so even the claims of “mocking the Last Supper painting” hold no water.

13 Likes

That’s not how colonialism works. King George didn’t give a crap about the people, he cared about the taxes they paid and the resources he could extract.

This is off topic, so if you wish to continue, you can find an existing thread on colonialism or feel free to start a thread on the topic.

10 Likes

tenor (8)

9 Likes

For real…

from

19 Likes

So wait, a long table, people sitting around it, and a ceiling?

Such an uncommon occurrence, these things coinciding.
Could it also be that da Vinci had a great eye for composition, and his art is a big part of Western culture?

16 Likes

Oh, well, if some unsourced quote says it was based on The Last Supper. I couldn’t find anything when I searched for what you wrote, just Thomas Jolly himself saying otherwise…but why would I trust him over an unnamed spokesman quoted in an article I can’t find by someone who ends all their posts with Lol?

13 Likes

…and is batting 0 for 7. lol

13 Likes

And, that something the flat surface of a painting canvas and a bridge have in common is the need to show an entire scene horizontally to get everything into view.

12 Likes

18 Likes

BS. Take it elsewhere.

Jolly has said that he was not inspired by The Last Supper, the famous Leonardo da Vinci painting showing Jesus Christ and his apostles.

What’s your source? NewsTrash? OnAN?

12 Likes