Pedantic Digressions

Grumpy Cat is actually our sister by another mister.

1 Like

I sit corrected.

1 Like
4 Likes

The capital of Alaska is Juneau

7 Likes

13 Likes

True that.

Take it up with the editor of the article. :wink:

5 Likes

This is like something from a John Oliver segment. “One of these places isn’t even actually a capital city.”

3 Likes

It would certainly make sense to put the capital in Anchorage, or Fairbanks, and cede the southeast coast to British Columbia or something, but politicians are notoriously apathetic about these things.

1 Like

Then maybe you should care less, if you could.

Examples I can think of from real life don’t seem to match that pattern.

In my experience, narcissists tend to prey on sensitive retiring introverts, because they are easy to bully.

Flavor Aid, if 'pedia is to believed.

1 Like

Yes, thanks! Grape-flavored Flavor Aid. (Yecch!)

3 Likes

secessionist

2 Likes

It’s always seemed odd to me that people think of Jim Jones when they tell of “drinking the Kool-Aid”. Seems much more likely to refer to Ken Kesey. That was actually Kool-Aid, required as whole-hearted a commitment to its immediate future for those drinking, but was mostly less fatal. Since it’s never suggested that any of the drinkers actually die, although others may have wished they did.

2 Likes

There you go, making too much sense again. :wink:

4 Likes

Just doing my job, citizen.

3 Likes

People on the Jim Jones compound drank both Kool-Aid and Flavor Aid. They had both in stock and used them both.

People who say we should “not tarnish the name of Kool-Aid” are in essence just saying “we should tarnish the name of Flavor Aid.” It is over-correcting. What they drank that particular day is speculative, since accounts of the time don’t agree. It’s as wrong to say “We know it wasn’t specifically Kool-Aid” as it was to say “We know it was specifically Kool-Aid.”

The point is that people died by poison and gunshot wounds, and focusing on the part that didn’t kill them trivialises the tragedy. It wasn’t a bad consumer product, it was cyanide and trusting a bad authority figure.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I think you misunderstand.
I don’t give a fig about the reputation of a brand I am unlikely ever to use.
I object to “drinking the kool-aid” being used with reference to Jonestown because when used no one ever implies that anyone dies.
Which points very strongly to its origins being with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, and only later overtaken by events.
A much better analogy, too, IMNSHO.
I guess I should accept I am alone and generally considered wrong, like a good pedant.

People started using the specific metaphor, “drinking the kool-aid” in 1978, specifically to describe letting something bad happen from trusting corrupt authority, not as a way to describe trying acid, as Kesey used it. I don’t think Kesey meant to negatively affect anyone’s life by dosing them, and the metaphor wasn’t used when Kesey’s book was at its most popular.

Which points very strongly to its origins being with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, and only later overtaken by events.

People’s familiarity with the title of the earlier book did influence the wider adoption of the metaphor, no question. But the origin of the metaphor was from the Jones story. People started using it just after the massacre and into the Eighties.

4 Likes

/me sulks

2 Likes