Pee on this Ikea ad and get $500 off a crib - if it shows you're pregnant

Call me a commie (seriously, I’m a commie), but a top of the line crib should be something every parent and child have equal access to and should be part of post-natal health care program.

9 Likes

If anyone who was born with a penis gets a positive result, go and see a doctor as soon as possible. You might have testicular cancer.

4 Likes

Define “top of the line”.

A cheaper crib may not be any safer or better than a crib costing 10x as much.

2 Likes

I assume you mean the opposite of what you state above.

Some sort of Swedish thing? I’m guessing the discount is closer to $50 than $500

4 Likes

I’ve been peeing on my Lands’ End catalogs, just in case.

9 Likes

I heard about this promotion, but missed the price tag earlier. Our crib is from IKEA, converts to a toddler bed, and was WAY under $1,000, let alone $500. Hell, I think it was under $200.

What is this mystery crib?

3 Likes

My kid’s was free from a family friend.

Correct grammer is “my kids were free from a family friend”

Not judging how you got your kids. That is your business.

11 Likes

The ad was created the Swedish agency Åkestam Holst in collaboration with Mercene Labs. See how it works here:

baby-ikea

4 Likes

My kid’s crib cost just under CAD200 from Ikea … including all the bedding. I woulda put the wee tot in a drawer, but my boss at the time gave me a $200 gift cert for Ikea for just this purpose. :smiley:
There’s not a chance I’d have paid (or even had) $200 for a crib!

5 Likes

No, it is still accurate, though clumsy. I am saying the two may be equal in terms of safety and function, regardless of cost.

If two cribs adhere to the same safety standards, and have similar construction, etc, they may be just as safe and function just as well as one another, despite a price difference.

Conversely, you could have a solid gold crib that doesn’t meet safety standards, thus it is “worse” than a low end crib from Walmart.

Price differences come from various factors, including things such as brand name or materials or cosmetic features.

This is the part that’s boggling my mind. Granted, I haven’t been in an Ikea since before Y2K, but 500$ off, at Ikea?

Maybe the price is in Swedish krone, equivalent to US $.12. So that makes it (with discount) a $60 crib, which seems more IKEA-like to me.

8 Likes

How about a cardboard box?

9 Likes

perhaps the ultimate expression of customer satisfaction translating into yet another indignity borne by a service-industry drone.

1 Like

Regardless of cost, high or low, no family or single parent should have their child in a rickety baby-strangling crib, and should not have to rely on the charity of Christians to provide safe bedding for an infant.

2 Likes

BRB I’m going to try it with this Tiffany’s flyer.

8 Likes

Careful. Depending on your diet, it may tarnish the silver.

5 Likes

Pretty sure the price is Swedish kronor. At ~0:30 in the video, the facing page of the magazine is in a Scandinavian language.

ETA: So that’s US$61.50 off a $122.36 crib.

5 Likes

Everyone next door to Sweden in Finland puts their babies in free government issued cardboard boxes.

So half a G truly is nuts.

2 Likes