Pee on this Ikea ad and get $500 off a crib - if it shows you're pregnant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/11/pee-on-this-ikea-ad-and-get-5.html

3 Likes

P’raps I’ve been spending too much time with American teens.

I saw the headline and was, like, “they’ll give you $500 off a house?”

7 Likes

Free Ikea catalog saves women $10.00

11 Likes

Ikea? How we love to hate thee…

So – the activated coupon, are you supposed to hand it to the cashier?

22 Likes

I guess €500 is already a huge markup and is the actual price… they’ll take your word for it.

2 Likes

I assume that their test is species specific?

1 Like

Cribs cost USD $1,000.00 now?

13 Likes

Is the premise of this promotion that expectant mothers deserve a break on the purchase price of a crib, as opposed to all those other people who buy cribs for non-baby-related use?

15 Likes

9 Likes

Right; that was the first thing that caught my attention - $500 OFF.

Then I contemplated what a terrible and unsanitary marketing idea this is.

7 Likes

“Ma’am, most people tear just the needed page out, not soak the whole catalog…”

Also - I swear, cribs are such a scam. You literally can’t give old ones away because if it is over 3 years old it probably has been recalled. I am only slightly exaggerating.

12 Likes

If they cost more than 5 C-notes a pop, that pretty much goes without saying.

3 Likes

iPhone technician: So what exactly caused your phone to stop working, ma’am?

Expectant mother: I was trying to use an e-coupon. I don’t want to talk about it.

19 Likes

My kid’s was free from a family friend.

8 Likes

Mine too; and when my kid didn’t need it anymore, I passed it on to a relative who was pregnant.

8 Likes

Honestly, I was thinking $500 off meant there was a cash rebate. We didn’t have $500 for fancy Ikea cribs at the birth of our firstborn. We didn’t have $500 for a car.

4 Likes

I didn’t think there was ANYTHING at IKEA that cost that much. Maybe if you bought a whole kitchen.

7 Likes

One of Ikea’s cribs is well regarded and sells for $200. Are these US American dollars?

2 Likes

They used to have a sub $100 crib that was very sturdy since they all have to pass the stringent regulations. The IKEA USA website doesn’t show anything over $200.

The crib in the video is $99. I’m too frazzled from having my own children to dig further.

6 Likes