Pelosi: "No, nothing" on Trump's border wall demands

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/07/pelosi-no-nothing-on-tru.html

7 Likes

Someone show this shit to Chuck Schumer.

17 Likes

Does anyone else not know quite how to feel when Congressional Democrats seem to be showing spine in a way that appears to also be politically effective, and giving indications that they’ll continue to do so?

44 Likes

HOw the fuck is food for hungry people not an essential government service? If that’s not, what the hell is. Don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.

35 Likes

Pleasantly surprised.

27 Likes

Agreed. I am torn on it when I dig too deep…but at the highest heights of my view I feel quite happy. Not giving into Nostradumbass on a thing makes me feel rather good.

10 Likes

But hey - that Nancy is too old to be in charge?

Things they can delay or eliminate instead of hurting poor people needing to eat:

1. Farm subsidy payments
  2. The Yacht Tax Deduction.
  3. Gambling loss deductions.
  4. The limit on social security taxes on income over $118,000
  5. Any of the tax gimmicks used by the Trump or Kushner Organizations. Target a bunch of these as part of this fight.
  6. Secret Service details.
33 Likes

“We are currently looking at options for SNAP," said Tim Murtaugh, a spokesperson for the department. “The best course of action would be for Congress to send a legitimate appropriations bill to the president to end the lapse in funding.”

The Congress fucking did send a “legitimate appropriations bill” to the White House in December, and President Niblet Fingers refused to sign it. Fuck him. Keep passing legislation to re-open the government and let him explain to people why they are going hungry.

31 Likes

If the Congress is in session:

" The President has ten days (excluding Sundays) to sign a bill passed by Congress. … If this occurs , the bill becomes law over the President’s objections. A pocket veto occurs when Congress adjourns during the ten - day period. The President cannot return the bill to Congress."

15 Likes

Hol’ on there, boyh! Whut yer pro-posin’ is goshdarn Communism!

5 Likes

I didn’t know that, thanks for the info.

No danger of that happening now with Mitch “Yertle” McConnell running interference. I honestly don’t know who pisses me off more, McConnell or Trump.

15 Likes

Insert both gif here_____.

Starving already poor and struggling people is never a “good” idea when it comes to the ruling class; a hungry mob is an angry mob.

19 Likes

As the probably ancient saying goes, no society is more than three square meals away from revolution. And as I liked to point out in my workaholic days, I already missed breakfast and lunch.

18 Likes

I particularly like number 6.

8 Likes

Many people have been hinting at the idea of ‘mass revolt’ for years, but nonchalantly just letting people starve is how that idea becomes a painful reality. They better tighten up and get their shit together, STAT…

14 Likes

“Do you want guillotines? Because this is how you get guillotines.”

18 Likes

Ah, but whose hands are holding the reins? The GOP thinks that they can spin opinion to aim the mob at the Dems, and the Dems think that the mob will see that it’s all Two Scoops’ childish tantrum.

The truth is that both parties are having their little tiff while riding on the back of a “yu-u-uge” tiger… One more than capable of devouring them both and sucking out the marrow. Who will be the first to appease it?

1 Like
4 Likes

How about allocating the 5bn as a matching grant? We match dollar for dollar every contribution Mexico makes toward building the wall. Pres’dent Putinfluffer won’t know the difference and the rest of the world can resume its normal level of dysfunction.

19 Likes

Sounds like a plan. Though I was hoping to pay my taxes with my “wall money” from Mexico.

7 Likes