Trump caves to Pelosi, agrees to delay State of the Union address

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/24/trump-caves-to-pelosi-agrees.html

12 Likes

But the workers are still unpaid. It’s a symbolic defeat, but it’s not enough.

11 Likes

Dog got walked.

8 Likes

I can guarantee you that he did not write that.

34 Likes

I get a kick out of people trying to use quote marks for emphasis, because it actually reads to me as extreme sarcasm.

22 Likes

I honestly think every use of “great” by Trump including his slogan should definitely keep the quotes. Reads more accurately too.

20 Likes

Okay. About the use of scare quotes… Does he know what he is doing? Is he trying to be clever in any way, or is this like that time when Joey didn’t know how to use air quotes on that episode?

8 Likes
27 Likes

I would have been looking forward to the idea of him banging against a locked door on live television, except that would mean that the the government was still shut down for another week.

7 Likes

I simply love that he put “great” in quotes. Pure perfection. And you, sir, are a “great” leader of men. Simply “great”. The “greatest”.

I also love the fact that he blamed Pelosi for putting the idea in his head that he should give the SOTU Address during the shutdown, admitted he agreed to do it, and then she pulled a reversal on him like she’s Lucy holding the football and he’s Charlie Brown coming in for the kick. Except people like Charlie Brown. Cue sad trombone.

“This is her prerogative.”

My eyes have finally run out of room to roll.

23 Likes

She called his bluff and it turned out he had nothing.

19 Likes

Making America “great” again.

15 Likes

D’John’s new slogan is:
BUILD THE WALL AND CRIME WILL FALL.
True statement…it’s in his Twitter Feed, as shown on Morning Joe.

I love how Pelosi gave him a perfectly reasonable justification in the first letter, citing the burden of security on unpaid staff. But since he didn’t play along, she had to spell it out in the second letter: “Look, asshole, you don’t get it. We don’t want you.”

25 Likes

Some TV comic, I forget who, added “only if Trump is on the other side.”

3 Likes

It would be great to have some caves named after Trump somewhere, but really small caves.

1 Like

Haha! I missed that…
in the same tweet, he spoke (paraphrasing) about how there’s “record cold” in various states,
and the folks sure wish they had some of that
Global Warming .
I kid you not.

1 Like

That’s really all anyone needs to know here. Good summary.

(PS. You forgot to re-type the entire text into a quote under the twitter image. Apparently it is mandatory on BB for everyone to have to read all twitter quotes twice.)

3 Likes

AOC explained on either TV or Twitter concerning the skepticism about Pelosi’s original letter, explaining that the State of the Union is a very big deal, pageant-wise, that assumes that the entire House will be fully staffed up with a complete security detail for the day – which means tons of furloughed staff being brought in to work as unpaid security and staff. She said something to the effect of “IOUs are not an effective way to run the government.”

18 Likes

D’John can’t perform
in front of an
Empty House.