Pelosi warns Trump: resign "immediately" or House will impeach you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/08/pelosi-warns-trump-resign-immediately-or-house-will-impeach-you.html

14 Likes

About damn time.

43 Likes

Futile. Republicans would rather the country burn (a little) than give up their chances at reelection, or a 2024 run.

5 Likes

Enough with that defeatist Borg shit. We fight any way we can.

51 Likes

Democrats were prepared to act on impeachment by the middle of next week.

I wish I could say that I genuinely don’t understand this. Trump poses such an immediate danger to the nation that Pelosi is talking to the Joint Chiefs about ignoring him if he requests a nuclear strike, but she’s also willing to hold off and give him the time to decide to resign (he absolutely will not) before pursuing impeachment.

But honestly, after their calls for Pence to invoke the 25th amendment went down in flames yesterday, all this sounds like is Democratic leadership doing the same desperate “please don’t actually make us have to do anything proactive to you” bullshit that Lindsey Graham and Twitter were spewing on Wednesday.

JUST FUCKING DO IT.

50 Likes

arnold-schwarzenegger-screaming-kindergarten-cop_480_poster

39 Likes

If they convict him… he can’t run again. He’ll be furious and tweet to no end about the people who voted to convict him, but he won’t be able to run himself against the next generation of Republican shitheels.

13 Likes

Middle of next week? Why can’t they start now?

21 Likes

@WoolyBugger REPUBLICANS need to distance themselves from the nutjob whacko crowd ASAP, or risk being labeled a skinhead hate group en masse. To achieve that, they need to weed out every flaming dipshit who catered to the Trump cult. It’s not going to be pretty, and it may cost them the next election, but if they don’t, it will cost them many many more.

13 Likes

Thrilled to hear it, but the real key is going to be the Senate, just like last time. I’m guessing Romney would be on board again and Sasse is at least pretending to be open to the idea. I think most of the Dems would go along.

3 Likes

All of the details of Wednesday’s attack haven’t been made public. Might take investigators till monday to finish.

We don’t know why Capitol Building didn’t have extra security. or If trump or his appointees had anything to do with that… If Trump did deny extra security, that’s damning evidence of his betrayal.

6 Likes

He told his supporters to march on the Capitol! In public! Through a microphone! On Television! Why do we need to wait for all of the facts to come out before we actually start acting on the existing damning facts we already have?

28 Likes

Why couldn’t he. Who’d stop him? The police that are all allied to him?

20 Likes

He told Russia to hack into Hillary Clinton’s computers! In public! Through a microphone! On Television! People voted for him anyway.

12 Likes

It’s a good start but it could really stand to have been “and”.

Pretty crucial conjunction

8 Likes

It’s not automatic, but if the Senate imposes restrictions on him ever holding public office again, he won’t be able to get on a ballot and any write-ins wouldn’t count.

16 Likes

Resign? Impeach? Prosecute? You’ll have to drag him out of Argentina first.

eb770886a314a3b22c38e9cf50ebc350

6 Likes

They still need 2/3 of the senate to convict, don’t they? 50 democratic senators + Mitt Romney doesn’t get them that.

3 Likes

Surely Collins will do the right thing.

18 Likes