Pelosi warns Trump: resign "immediately" or House will impeach you

although unlikely, it’s at least possible that some of the less rabid trumpite senators may have had a “come to jesus” moment on wednesday.

7 Likes
14 Likes

The Constitution grants the Senate the option of forever disqualifying anyone convicted in an impeachment case from holding any federal office. So if they actually did impeach him, they could also disqualify him.

But that wouldn’t stop him, no more than his being unable to serve two terms wouldn’t stop him from running for a third term.

It’s an easy dodge, and has been used many times: Get a proxy to run instead. So instead of him, it would be Ivanka. Or Beavis and Butthead.

6 Likes

Is it wrong to at least try to do the right thing even if it might not happen?

17 Likes

I would argue that it is, in fact, wrong to not try to do the right thing even if it might not happen.

21 Likes

The point of it for me is to get as many GOP Senators on record for their support and appeasement of a seditious “president”. Anyone who votes against conviction is declaring him- or herself an enemy of liberal democracy.

32 Likes

I’m sure she’s composing a strongly-worded letter right now.

22 Likes

Ah, but you forget that all he cares about is himself. Using a proxy would not happen, because his ego couldn’t handle being a grey eminence. He has to have the spotlight.

10 Likes

What’s the wait? You can start the impeachment while asking for a resignation and pushing for 25A. What’s the strategy here?
His speech yesterday was exactly to buy him time and to fend off the 25A push. Don’t give him the time.

6 Likes

No she’s not. Rep Omar has already submitted articles and there are 132 cosponsors. Even as fast as they can possibly move, there are still procedures that have to be followed like any official procedure. She’s threatening to bring it to a vote and advance to the senate if he doesn’t resign by the time they’re ready.

15 Likes

Tick-tock, tick-tock. The alarm is felt by all of us.

13 Likes

I call bullshit. They can ram legislation through in hours when they actually want to. This is stalling.

7 Likes

Sorry, but that’s not correct. A vote can be advanced quickly, but the drafting of legislation takes a whole lot longer. And did you miss the part where I said that they are already advancing it? It takes quite a bit to get 435 people (or even just a quorum) into the same room.

2 Likes

Yes, they can go lightning quick if they want to. They could have a vote TODAY on this if they so desired. They might not be completely ready with all their deets, but they could get running fast.

They are in session and therefore, they only need quorum (simple majority) to convene and start debating… Really, it can go quicker than days and days. It really can.

5 Likes

You just said the legislation is already drafted, and they’re all already in Washington DC because of the joint session two days ago. There’s simply zero excuse to wait for Trump to do something he’s never ever going to do.

4 Likes

Impeach by Zoom session works for me.

12 Likes

Because in a week and a half they’ll have 50 Democratic senators instead of 48 and control the Senate. That means Dems will decide what evidence gets heard in the Senate.

11 Likes

Ah, but you forget Jared. Now there’s an upstanding young man.

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Cool and Normal:

9 Likes

Personally I think they’re dragging it out to have the impeachment overseen by a Dem Senate.

1 Like