Pelosi warns Trump: resign "immediately" or House will impeach you

This has to happen.
It’s important to ensure Trump and all his malignant familials never EVER hold office again.
It’s still almost beyond belief that EVEN now there seem to be no real consequences. This guy, destroying democracy in a heartbeat. Pestilence walking.

11 Likes

In his column, Jerry “Tycho” Holkins perfectly summed up my own views on this yesterday:

But let me tell you something I haven’t done: I haven’t tried to lead an insurrectionist movement in the United States. So, maybe I’m better than at least one motherfucker.

Here is my position, to the extent that anybody wants it: I think that if you start calling fundamental democratic norms into question, and then literally foment a Goddamn rebellion, you’ve entered into such profoundly fuck you territory that the response must be absolute - unless we want to set our watches by this kind of shit. It’s an attack on such fundamental social machinery that the person responsible for it needs to be extracted from power itself. Now. Because if there aren’t consequences for this, actual consequences, and frameworks put in place to inoculate our government from it then we’re governed by a kind of circus. Otherwise, Donald Trump is just a quirky member of some elite club, alternately a clown or a devil, as opposed to someone gnawing at the roots of the tree that holds the nation up. Everybody I know is running as hard as they can just to stand still. It would be a profound comfort to know there was such a thing as Law.

Since Pence is unlikely to 25th Amendment his boss’s treasonous orange ass, impeachment needs to happen ASAP. Get on it first thing next week, Dems. Draw up those articles of impeachment this weekend. Protect the People’s House. Clock’s ticking on democracy.

16 Likes

I concur. And the word on the street is that the right wing hate machine is gearing up for the 20th. What I expect to happen is a smaller turnout, but an ARMED turnout, which means a titration down to the nuttiest nut jobs. The 6th was a test run, of sorts. They would have accepted victory if it came. But just getting in was victory enough, and let the clowns clown around. The next one is SERIOUS. We should be spending exactly zero time fucking around or downplaying their threats. Trump needs to hit the road and we need to be ready for some people who are more inclined towards armed conflict.

14 Likes

I disagree. He and Pence need to be confined to DC until the 20th, when they are taken into custody.

2 Likes

I read about that, & thought it was interesting. There’s only one way to find out if he is right, though.

What I would like to see happen is, first thing Monday morning, a vote is held in the House on the Article of Impeachment. Yes or No,… no debates, no nothin’. Just have them put their names on their vote.
When it passes, immediately send it to the Senate, where a similar vote is taken. If Conway is right, then we can be shed of Lord Dampnut by Monday afternoon. It should be made clear to Pence that any notions he has of pardoning Lord Dampnut (or anyone else) should be null & void, because he is in enough trouble already…

If/when Biden is sworn in*, then we can see about expelling everyone who voted against impeachment. They have obviously thrown in with the Insurrection & need to be dealt with.

*I don’t think the Coup Attempts are done with; and there is going to have to be a major purge of LE depts nationwide-Federal, State, & Local. Too many of 'em are in cahoots with the Fascists.

Macao Mitch has already said he’ll do nothing till the 19th. The Senate isn’t in session. To whom will Speaker Pelosi deliver the indictment?

Tell me again where those 67 votes are, George, you grifting hack.

This obviously doesn’t change the fact that he must be impeached by the House as soon as fucking possible, but I’m extremely wary of any Republican-adjacent idiots telling reporters that unnamed sources say they’re willing to give Trump the finger when they keep going on the record with their names attached to statements saying exactly the opposite.

12 Likes

It’s a privileged vote and doesn’t need to go through committee first.

5 Likes

@twistmeyer beat me to it by about 20 hrs, but…

I’m not ever going to defend bureaucratic foot-dragging, and there’s no reason not to put as much pressure on them as possible, but…

It’s also worth noting that Rep. Omar’s articles are just a draft. They still have to go through counsel and be vetted for wording by the House Clerk(?; I don’t know if that’s the correct officer, but there is a vetting process). This is moving remarkably fast as frustrating as it is to see even an hour pass.

The timeline also gives everyone a chance to do some shuttle diplomacy for any members that may be on the fence as well as allow the Senate to signal their procedural timeline, which is super critical strategically. To wit: McConnell has laid out his timeline which puts the process in the hands of a Dem-controlled Senate. I imagine there’s at least 10% of McConnell’s reasoning that is relieved to be able to hand off this hot potato to Schumer (just as his wife did by resigning and avoiding any question of picking a side if the 25th amendment is invoked, which it won’t be, but CYA is best when it’s preemptive).

In the meantime, everyone should be calling their Reps and Senators. Hell, I even called quite a few offices that don’t represent my District/State just to show support or take the piss. Calling Sen Collins’ office to ask whether she felt trump had “learned his lesson” was especially gratifying.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty certain this is a fishing expedition. Claiming that there’s support that is yet unspoken is probably a strategy to manipulate any fence-sitters into believing there’s a groundswell of support. The Lincoln Project has used this strategy pretty extensively.

4 Likes

So, 7 Republican Congressmen are asking for Pelosi not to impeach Trump, “in the spirit of healing” :roll_eyes:

Yah, no. As AOC noted, there can be no healing without accountability. And at the moment, if the GOP says not to do something, that’s a pretty good sign that the Dems should do it.

Edit: Also, one key to healing an infection is removing the foreign body that is causing it and insuring the wound won’t get re-infected.

18 Likes

As if anyone who incited, commited or gave comfort to the insurrectionists will ever participate in the fiction of “healing”. You can’t heal a wound without removing the knife first.

11 Likes

You beat me to it - I was ninja editing my post with an addendum as you were writing.

2 Likes

These ones?

(from 2021 United States Electoral College vote count - Wikipedia)

6 Likes

These dudes - I was incorrect about them being Senators in my post and have corrected the original:

Representatives Ken Buck (R-CO), Thomas Massie (R-KY), Tom McClinton (R-CA), Nancy Mace (R-SC), Chip Roy (R-TX), Kelly Armstrong (R-ND), and Mike Gallagher (R-W).

5 Likes

Ugh, Rep Mace is opposing impeachment now? She had a split second there where she sounded like a voice of reason in the GOP.

I’m tired of being fooled by these people.

1 Like

The request came in a letter signed by Representatives Ken Buck (R-CO), Thomas Massie (R-KY), Tom McClinton (R-CA), Nancy Mace (R-SC), Chip Roy (R-TX), Kelly Armstrong (R-ND), and Mike Gallagher (R-W).

How did that pro-Trump catchphrase go again? Something something fuck your feelings?

ozpp

13 Likes

This is Congressman Ken Buck, R-CO, who is calling for “healing”:

14 Likes

Yeah, the Republicans are calling on Dems to do all the “healing”, aka doing nothing or doing whatever the Republicans want. No mention of Trump or themselves making any concessions or being held accountable.

Does this work in court? Can a criminal just ask the judge to ignore the charges “in the spirit of healing”? (I suppose if they are rich and white it actually works…)

7 Likes

The Republicans could argue insanity, but they’d need to invoke the 25th amendment for that to stand.

8 Likes