Pence says we must "restore confidence in equal treatment under the law in this country" by not indicting Trump

… not really a thing and Pence is a stupid asshole. Assholes don’t need excuses.

10 Likes

What else could he say? Insurrectionists and others were agreeable to he being strung up on Jan 6… and their fury has now been reignited by Pence having the audacity to run against their god-emperor. He probably believes that tossing out a “no indictment” sop will satisfy Trumpists and garner votes from that quarter and possibly get him off the radar of those who still want him dead.

3 Likes

And even the most generous definition of “Stockholm Syndrome” doesn’t apply when the guy chose to join the Trump ticket in 2016 when it was 100% clear exactly who the man was. Stockholm Syndrome is supposed to be about a kidnapping/hostage victim sympathizing with their captors. Pence was one of the criminals, not a victim.

10 Likes

If I were to make a list of people who should be charged and tried with the goal of restoring faith in the US justice system, Donald Trump would be at the top of that list, with several of his associates not far below.

3 Likes

“In the spirit of fairness and impartiality, Donald Trump should enjoy the same degree of impunity as any other wealthy and powerful person.”

6 Likes

“Let me be clear that no one’s above the law,” said Pence

“But I would just hope that there would be a way for them to move forward without the dramatic and drastic and divisive step of indicting a former President of the United States. We’ve got to find a way to move our country forward and restore confidence in equal treatment under the law in this country.”

TEXTBOOK.

14 Likes

Thanks. Honestly, I feel really fortunate. I experienced an incredibly visceral and momentous tragedy as a child that kind of snapped me out of it. Everyone around me was praying for something that was clearly futile and I didn’t see god anywhere. My belief was always tenuous and fear-based so in that moment it just seemed futile and silly. I spent a few years trying to reconcile what I was taught with reality and just couldn’t. It’s a little embarrassing, but when I saw the film Little Buddha, and was introduced to the actual words of Buddha all the fear just melted away. Then, when I read the Tao Te Ching, everything finally made perfect sense (including how silly and dramatic Buddha could be!).

I have a wife I’m infatuated with, three kids who are geniuses (fight me!) and stronger social and emotional bonds than I ever had or saw in the church. There’s no such thing as perpetual peace and the pursuit of nirvana is a form of holding, but I’m really, really happy with my life. In fact, just today @JustGoodSense said something really beautiful, albeit about a hideous man, that perfectly encapsulates how I feel:

fuckin_a

Also, sorry everyone for the topic derail.

20 Likes

Restore confidence in equal treatment under the law in this country.

That’s right: every White Republican Politician, regardless of his transgressions, deserves to skate on his crimes!

5 Likes

Catholic school here, and all the shit that went with it. What I’ve quoted from you here sounds exactly like my journey, though I was introduced to Buddhism at a temple in Boulder, Colorado I was only at to get a free meal. From there to Taoism via LSD. I try to read a chapter every day from the Tao Te Ching (from https://dailytao.org/), and write a kind of diary-marginalia. It’s tremendously calming.

4 Likes

So letting Trump be above the law is a way to bring the country together? I’m going to go with fuck to the NO.

5 Likes

I guess the MAGAs are going to need Christopher Nolan’s help ‘cause that is 100% backwards.

IMG_0103

4 Likes

Psycho?

1 Like

Yes. Norman with “mother”

6 Likes

Could we start with a close look at the people he pardoned? Steve Bannon should be #1 on that list.

7 Likes

Me too, but it just laughs at me. :wink:

Really glad you found something that makes sense. I don’t know that evangelical torture is any worse than Catholic torture, from all I’ve heard.

4 Likes

Depends on how much the evangelicals use beatings as a pedagogical tool. The nuns in my school seemed to think that corporal punishment was somewhere in Bloom’s taxonomy.

4 Likes

Those words do not mean what you “think” they do, mikey.
Pence

5 Likes

In an industrial job that would be the cue for industrial action, but…

3 Likes

Another Republican on the campaign trail I can’t vote for. What kind of nonsense talk was that? It does not benefit the United States to have a President that cannot face reality.

Both Biden and Pence gave back whatever documents they inadvertently took. Trump said all the documents he took belonged to him. It took Trump over a year and a half to return them all even after having a lawyer certify that he had returned them all beforehand.

The only way to restore equal treatment under the law is to prosecute Trump for his misappropriation and mishandling by taking those documents in the first place and for his obstruction and false representation in returning them.

Minor (or not) point of order. He never “returned” them. The FBI raided Mar a Largo and seized them. That’s a difference. Even up to that point, if he had returned them, he probably would not be in the position he is now. The “and retention” part of the law would not apply, and is why it did not apply to Pence or Biden.

4 Likes