People rescue a hawk whose head got stuck in a car grille

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/16/people-rescue-a-hawk-whose-hea.html

8 Likes

I need more of this in my life.

8 Likes

Aw, wow. I’m so glad the hawk seemed good to go.

And I’m glad the compassionate people are unhurt. What a brave rescue.

5 Likes

soooo many questions…

2 Likes

That guy seems weirdly competent in handling the bird…

3 Likes

Great timing for the dodo soundeffect,
when the hawk flies away and supposedly hits a car on the road

3 Likes

It’s nice when people actually care about stuff.

8 Likes

My old Ford Falcon was involved in a couple of minor fender benders but the other car always seemed to get the worst of it.

5 Likes

Oh man, don’t rush me, I just got hit by a car, goddamnit! Jesus people, have some patience, I just gotta walk this off… Okay, I’m good, red-tailed hawk out!

5 Likes

This is crazy! Don’t put hawk treats in your car grill!

2 Likes

When they released and he flies across the road I was expecting him to get hit by another car

1 Like

Okay, you see that part with the beak, and that part with the talons? Gotta stay away from those.
He did do a beautiful job, he was very calm, very patient and in control and my hats off to him. Sadly the biggest cause of death for most adult buteos (the bigger North American Hawks) are car strikes.

3 Likes

Observations:

• The person filming needed to talk less.
  • The guy seemed to do a great job in approaching the problem, though it’s unclear how the bird’s head was dislodged.
  • The guy made the bird balance on, what, a pencil?
  • The guy forced the bird to fly by throwing it into the air. Would it have been better to place the bird on that fence rail that was right in front of him and let the bird decide when it was ready? Would have prevented an immediate encounter with another grill.

Count yourself lucky, hawk!

bird_close

1 Like

They did a good job. If they’d had a blanket to wrap around the bird before extracting it, it might have made the whole thing a bit easier.

1 Like

yeah sure when it happens to a dumb bird everyone is real anxious and helpful but when it happens to me everyone laughs and makes rude remarks and picks my pocket.

4 Likes

The grille slot wasn’t of consistent height, so he slid the bird down to where the slot was more head sized.

5 Likes

Yup, wedge shaped grill. Keep gently pushing in the right direction,to go ande distance between the slats increases, releasing the head.

3 Likes

I love this. He stuck around a for a few minutes to show his appreciation. Yeah a lot of people say, “Quit placing anthropocentric attributes on animals.” Who says these qualities are strictly anthropocentric? That very definition is anthropocentric bias. Hawks have been around far longer in the evolutionary tree than humans. Maybe the hawk is just glad he’s not a human. This is wonderful on the part of these two people. YAY!

I’m getting an adolescent feeling from that hawk.