People rescue a hawk whose head got stuck in a car grille

Good for those people.

2 Likes

Who’s the insensitive jerk banging on a piano in the background?

1 Like

I think it’s an adult. Though red tailed hawk coloration varies greatly, the one thing that usually indicates an adult is the red tail, and it seems to have that.

Anyhoo, this is an amazing demo of how focused raptors are on their prey.

Also, though hawks are born with the tools and the instincts to hunt their various kinds of prey, to survive they need to learn how and what to hunt and also of course to learn to avoid cars, ugh. Red tailed hawks, like most raptors, have a first-year mortality rate of above 50% because it’s v difficult to manage all this, considering, luck, ability, and health. Post-DDT, though, red tails are a huge success story, as they’ve adapted to suburban and urban life.

It was a paintbrush. I’d like to know who the artist was, to see if he has an Instagram.

1 Like

I think he did a pretty good job anyway.

This made my day. :slight_smile:

When I was a kid, I helped a local bird enthusiast with catching and ringing hawks. They’re really impressive animals. Mostly buzzards and sparrowhawks, some harriers, and IIRC at least one goshawk.

1 Like

A hawk flew into the window of my office neighbor. Made a noise someone 3 offices down could hear. I went outside to see if I could find it. If it was alive, I was going to call animal control. They partner with a lot of rescues.
Get down there and can’t find even a feather. I decided it must have flown away. We’ve had pigeons do the same thing and fly off.
We’ve also had a pigeon smear itself on the window. So I just keep telling myself it flew away.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.