Watch a confused hawk repeatedly try to grab a kitten through glass

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/18/watch-a-confused-hawk-repeatedly-try-to-grab-a-kitten-through-glass.html

7 Likes

For those whose systems automatically block tik-tok embeds, here’s a direct link to the video:
https://www.tiktok.com/@birdsnature1406/video/7347017734246436138

Could the Front Page Posts please always include such a direct link? The more security minded of us, while we still like cute animal videos, use ad blockers and other security measures which make such embeds invisible. Thanks.

12 Likes

I think it was taken in the Los Angels area.

Image is Flipped, look at the numbers on the speedometer, street sign (backwards says) Slausen Av.

4 Likes

And here i would’ve thought that included with the Kitten ‘firmware’ (inherited behavior) would’ve been “Cheese-it!! It’s a big bird!” (“meh. I’m a predator it’s a predator [kitten shrug]”)

4 Likes

Just in case you wondered why indoor cats live longer than indoor/outdoor cats.

11 Likes

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

5 Likes

Then the hawk is all “shit, there’s a hyuman in there too, I’m out!” I hope kitten got lots of pets and treats after that scare.

2 Likes

Agreed, and the steering wheel would be on the left side, which fits. I’d say a first-year red-tailed hawk by the pale iris and tail, that maybe doesn’t quite get it about glass yet. For one to be in a city and on low perches is another clue – the older ones are wary.

3 Likes

Bird knows what happens if you let those things grow up!

1 Like

Kitty was just biding its time until it can do this sort of thing.

4 Likes

not to denigrate evolutionary history but…

basically dynosaur brain vs mammalian brain?

Cats do seem to be pretty well aware of the “mystery” of glass.

Returning from a vacation over Winter, we found a storm window shattered, and a few days later, our cat staying very still in spite of our protestations that he vacate the spot on our kitchen sink (where he “knew he was not allowed”) and observing throug the window a large Red Tail Hawk who… probably broke the storm window in the living room where said cat liked to sit on the couch back, observing the world…

1 Like

1 Like

They slash across country like scythes, wiping out everything that’s trying to get away from them.

tumblr_ogourqSFBO1s2wio8o2_1280

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.