Pet ants you knight!

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for using Frederick (the mouse) as your avatar. It was one of the first books I ever read all the way through in English and in German. Love that book.

Second… I believe this shirt is for you:

6 Likes

One of my Dad’s:

A piece of cheese, no smaller than a die,
Can be eaten quickly, by a wandering mie.

3 Likes

Rund um der Wiese herum, wo Kuhe und pferde grassen stande eine alte alte Steinmauer

1 Like

I put that in Google translate, but I’m afraid I’m still going to have to ask you to explain it. I wish my German was better, but I’m afraid I don’t get it. :worried:

You made my day! Danke schön.

Zufälligerweise, heute muß i’ im Garten (mit zwei Steinmauern) pflanzen. Okra. Gurken. Kartoffeln. Zucchini.

1 Like

@Mister_Eppy is quoting from this book:

… which has been translated into many languages.

1 Like

“All along the meadow where the cows and horses graze, stood an old stone wall…”

The story is one of those top tier children’s books like “The Giving Tree” or “Mrs. Rumphius”. It describes a community of mice making preparations for the winter. All mice are gathering food and such, but Frederick gathers colors and words and music. He is roundly ridiculed for it until winter comes, the stores run out, and Frederick helps pass the long winter with his imagination and the colors and words he gathered.

3 Likes

Gut! Vergessen sie nicht, die Farben (My german is old and rusty)

1 Like

I have just discovered that the sheet of ice is an “ice floe,” in my head I always spelled it “flow,” though fortunately I’d never needed to write it. But I just read this joke and discovered the truth:

Two penguins are standing on an ice floe, dressed of course in their best formal penguin suits.

One says to the other, “Wouldn’t it be strange if we were just characters in a penguin joke?” The other replies, “What makes you think we’re not?”

7 Likes

That makes me think of the classic:

Two muffins are baking in the oven.

One muffin turns to the other and says, “It’s really hot in here.”

The second muffin exclaims, “Holy crap, a talking muffin!”

8 Likes

Or this one:

An Englishman, and Irishman and a Scotsman, a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead, a priest, a minister, and a rabbi, the Mayor, the Premier (or Governor), and the Prime Minister (or President) all walk into a bar.

Bartender asks, “What is this, some kind of joke?”

6 Likes

I heard it with a rabbi

3 Likes

And a Mormon Bishop!

2 Likes

I get exacerbated when people unwittingly exasperate a problem!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 295 days. New replies are no longer allowed.