PewDiePie fan unleashes ransomware that encrypts hard drives until he gets 100M subscribers

We should never have been trusted with internal combustion engines, for example.

2 Likes

Is that a distinction with a difference?

8 Likes

Because I’m not hip I had to google that. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/the-great-subscriber-war-subscribe-to-pewdiepie

1 Like

I think there is a very good point here. If you are number one it’s not really your choice whether other people decide to write about you being number one. We have a culture that turns that into a big deal when it isn’t. But I don’t know about “mainstream” journalists. I know of pewdiepie only through jokes made by other gamers and an articles about a stunt they pulled involving antisemitic memes. I had never heard of T-Series*. We’re not talking about household names.

I don’t pretend I can divine what is in the heads of other people. But when I read they got dropped by Disney because of an antisemitic stunt I don’t have to give them they benefit of the doubt. It’s bizarre to me that you can hold people who write sensational articles for clicks in contempt while apparently not holding Pewdiepie in contempt for doing sensational things for clicks. If a streamer or a comedian or a writer makes a “joke” about genocide, they collect the advertising money from the actual supporters of genocide just fine. I can hold people who make a fortune monetizing other people’s extremism as responsible in part for that extremism.

* Of course T-series might be a household name somewhere in the world.

10 Likes

I don’t understand all the negative comments about Pewds by people who don’t know who he really is, ir have never seen his content. Saying he should face reprucussions for actions he didn’t commit is idiocy. Especially when he specifically told his entire fan base to NOT do anything illegal. He’s not even attracting the type of audience that people say he is. He plays video games, reacts to memes and Dr. Phil videos, vlogs occasionally, cooks occasionally, etc., and became #1 on YouTube in a humbled way. Being the #1 on YouTube will definitely attract attention of many unsavory individuals, especially with the “war” against T-Series underway and the emergence of the “subscribe to Pewdiepie” meme. Pewds isn’t obligated to do the impossible and control is humongous fan base 100%. Even so, he’s made enough effort to do so.

brady-bunch-surejan

6 Likes

frankie-grace-gives-shit

8 Likes

Interesting that 2 commenters defending him are new members. Has someone alerted the legions of this post? LOL. Uh oh.

Again I have no idea about any of this stuff about this guy so I’m trying to read up. Here’s an article that seems legit. Sounds like more of a doofus/provacateur (who has done a bit of dumb shit nonetheless) than a straight up bad guy: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/13/pewdiepie-youtube-star-disney-antisemitic-videos

2 Likes

[Emphasis mine]

That would be “right” in what sense? Like in a moral sense? Like if I see some millionaire got dropped by Disney for posting antisemitic videos I owe it to this rich person I don’t know to make sure I make an informed judgement of them?

Here's a offensive joke that's an analogy for how I feel about that.

So a man walks into a bar, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old guy next to him. The old guy has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

“You see that dock out there? Built it myself, hand crafted each piece, and it’s the best dock in town! But do they call me “McGregor the dock builder”? No! And you see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain, sleet and scoarching weather, but do they call me “McGregor the bridge builder”? No! And you see that pier over there, I built that, best pier in the county! But do they call me “McGregor the pier builder”? No!”

The old guy looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says:

“but you fuck one sheep…”

10 Likes

How much difference is there between doing racially insensitive stuff for clicks (and money, be honest) and actually being racially insensitive… you gotta own up to that sort of thing. Obviously you like and follow the guy since you refer to him with an informal pet name. So you probably know more than me. Did he apologize and make amends for the anyi-Semitic stuff that got him canned from Disney’s sponsorship or did he just wave it off saying it was a joke and no one should have been offended?

Did no one learn from spider-man that with great power comes great responsibility? Your fans have made you number one, you probably have a bit of responsibility for how they are acting in your name… like if horrible people are living in your comments section you can delete or turn off comments altogether. If you refuse to do that because you want the clicks and ad revenue you’re kinda responsible for it.

6 Likes

Actual Nazis are not bothered about why he did it, because either way they benefit.

PewDiePie’s comments have made him popular with neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer, which has run a series of articles about the YouTuber, describing him as “our guy”.

“He could be doing all this only to cause a stir things up and get free publicity,” wrote the Daily Stormer.

“Ultimately, it doesn’t matter, since the effect is the same; it normalizes Nazism, and marginalizes our enemies.”

The site has even added a banner describing itself as “the world’s #1 PewDiePie fansite”.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Honestly if nazis were claiming me as their own I’d probably make my opposition known and quit public life (or at least quit the fake moniker) and get a real, anonymous, job somewhere. How would you live with yourself honestly. That sweet sweet ad revenue probably doesn’t help you sleep at night.

8 Likes

Sometimes you gotta just give it up. Matt Furie tried hard to reclaim Pepe the frog from the alt right. I was a fan of his back in the day when he was making little comic book Pepe and his pals. But I stopped wearing the Pepe pin I owned and Matt stopped drawing him because he’s taken on a cultural meaning outside of Matt’s control.

9 Likes

Some people have. Left the churches I mean. For lots of reasons, through history. Gone off and started new ones in protest of old ones. And really I’m not sure a youtube guy is quite the same as a religion in terms of need for devotion. Again- I had this emotional crisis with Pepe the frog a couple years ago. But I let it go. It was just one dumb comic character.

5 Likes

careful there. I think this is a very bad comparison…

10 Likes