Philadelphia city council candidate says his secret AI has discovered disqualifying fraud in the nominations of 30 out of 33 candidates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/22/refudiate.html

6 Likes

Hopefully the judge isn’t credulus. Both because I want to see this guy slapped with 30 people’s legal fees and because I want to hear the judge say: “I’m sorry, Devon; I can’t do that.”

30 Likes

“Did he?” you ask. Yes, yes he did.

If that rings a bell, it’s because former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was so roundly mocked for using refudiate in 2010 that the Oxford American Dictionary made it the word of the year.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Seems legit

1 Like

Wait for someone to put up the money and see him start to crack…

“You can’t see my AI! The deep machine learning is…it’s in the DARK WEB. REALLY.”

5 Likes

Given that he is claiming the AI and its results are his evidence, would he not have to submit them to the court and to the defense as a part of discovery? You can’t charge the court to examine your evidence so in the end it’d all be in the public record anyway.

Incompetent troll is incompetent.

29 Likes

Update:

Council hopeful Devon Cade collapses as hearings begin on challenges to Philly primary candidates

19 Likes

All he had to do was add “…including my own. And I intend to get to the bottom of it and find out what’s going on.” Bingo - instant credibility.

1 Like

Cade claims that he detected the forgeries using a machine learning system that he will allow anyone to inspect, provided that they post a $1,000,000 insurance bond first (“due to the sensitivity of the software no person(s) will be allowed to physically touch the software/hardware without a one million dollar insurance bond”).

This is a monster red flag that the guy is a crank. Make a backup of the software if you’re that worried about tampering. He has about as much credibility in my eyes as the guy who claims to have invented cold fusion but won’t let you see the apparatus because you might “steal his idea”.

22 Likes

That story rewards the clickthrough. Devon Cade is not the only unusual candidate it seems. Also, what is happening in that photo?

6 Likes

That was my first thought too.

“So all I have to do to stop you from introducing evidence to prove your claim is NOT get a million dollar bond? Done and done”.

5 Likes

The other story about Singletary in that link was just as good. He is claiming that just because he isn’t eligible to take a seat on the council due to an earlier conviction it shouldn’t prevent him from running for it.

4 Likes

If you zoom in to the upper-left corner of the photo you can see the judge doing a near-facepalm.

4 Likes

“Also, what is happening in that photo?”

It’s the ceremony of the “Coffee Can of Destiny”

Candidates pick their ballot position from the same 50 year old (or so) Horn & Hardart coffee can - which can often determine who wins. #1 or #2 - you’re in - # 27 - you’re screwed.

Edit - the ballot challenges are also traditional - try and get your opponents knocked off as many had dodgy nominating petitions - the “I have a secret AI doing the analysis for me” is a new approach though. Props for imagination.

14 Likes

Exactly. Software does not break when stared at, and any modern ML hardware is likely sitting in some cloud datacenter not to be touched anyways by the people operating it.

2 Likes

Hey, good English usage isn’t needed for badass hax0rz with mad skillz bro!

I wouldn’t worry. Judges can get bamboozled by flashy computer evidence they are shown, but not so much the kind they’re not.

2 Likes

4 Likes

:wink: THIS:

Philly is the US’s first World Heritage City - I hope that can is on the tour!

5 Likes