Philly police smashed a car's windows, beat black driver while child was in backseat

What I meant was actually the opposite. They keep playing the fools and sooner or later the will of the people actually will come for their assault rifles, mandate vaccines and defund the police. The whole reason defund has become a thing is because they have repeatedly failed for generations to do any damn thing to rein themselves in.

7 Likes

4 Likes

At least the bullshit is getting noticed elsewhere.

13 Likes

Something about that photo has been bugging me since I saw it and I just now figured out what (ok, a lot of things were). The officer holding the child is in a plain uniform (not riot-starting gear) and a woman. I’m sure that when they saw a child was present they brought in some sort of family crisis response team that she is probably a part of. Or maybe they just pulled the nearest woman cop they could find because they were the nearest person with a shred of decency or compassion. Or maybe they got her involved because they didn’t want to do the “woman’s work”. Or maybe it’s some sick form of virtue signaling.

In all ways it just reeks of misogyny and gender normative bullshit. I mean, I’m glad for it because the rest are clearly heartless monsters and probably would have cuffed him like a common fourth grader who swore at their teacher, but I just can’t get the underlying foulness out of my mind.

10 Likes

The picture looks as if it was posed by a police PR photographer, with the kindly white-gloved officer in the background making sure the wee tyke is okay (and breathing all over him through his unmasked nose).

10 Likes

These various PDs (and Feds) all seem to be in a competition for Worst Police Department in the United States. With all the protests and coverage regarding their bad behavior, one would think that they would have the self-awareness to tone it down.
Obviously not. If anything, it’s gotten worse.

Supposing the ranks are somehow purged of the ‘bad cops’ (many/most/all of them), the question remains: What to do with these people?
They can’t be trusted to be in positions of power, nor with possession of armaments. Is it even possible to de-program them from their training & experiences?

Of course, the same could be said of Trumpanzees & their ilk.

3 Likes

I believe the core of the difference between everyone having cameras and cameras are everywhere is whom is in control of the cameras. They control the narrative.

When the Po-po control the cameras, the story shown is the story they want told which will always support their cause.

When the populace controls the cameras, there is a gestalt of narrative which is much closer to the truth.
Panopticon vs Multiopticon-vulgaris (sorry for the cereal-box Latin attempt)

17 Likes

Commissioner Outlaw is in charge in Philadelphia.
She went to Philadelphia after screwing up protests in Portland, after screwing up protests in Oakland (though she wasn’t chief in Oakland).

Apparently, all she knows is how to escalate conflict.

8 Likes

Good point. Mea Culpa.

3 Likes

What scares me is that some aren’t happy with Faux News and are promoting radio and cable alternatives like Newsmax. Fighting the control that owners of these these organizations have over the hearts and minds of “law and order”/blue supporters will take a lot more work.

7 Likes

Fuck the police and fuck their narrative.

I see this for what it is absolute totalitarian bullshit.

Between this and the cop that shot Breonna Taylor filing a lawsuit against her boyfriend for emotional harm after the cop shot and killed the man’s girlfriend in her own home unprovoked…

I hate the police for good reason, and I will remind everyone I meet what a horrible culture they’ve created

9 Likes

A key part of defunding the police is separating the investigation of crimes from law enforcement. There are several positives, including being able to recruit intelligent people who can solve puzzles, allowing investigators to be truly independent from the police who may be lying, planting evidence, or the subject of criminal investigation themselves; but also so that prosecutors (and even judges) are no longer beholden to police, and thus biased through that dependency.

16 Likes
15 Likes

fixed. simple mistake.

3 Likes

Yes.

A friend of mine tried to become an Oakland PD (she wanted a dispatch/desk job), and was told that she didn’t qualify because she scored too high on the written tests.

Also, RICO laws could be applied to the dear old fraternal order eh?

6 Likes

In the replies to that tweet someone posted a trailer for an interesting documentary how talk radio radicalizes normal people into full-blown Republicans.

Apparently you can stream that for $1 until election day. Might help changing a mind or two.

4 Likes

The US is so big, there would be room for a police state where they could police the fuck out of each other all day without bothering anyone else.

4 Likes

“We are the only thing standing between Order and Anarchy”

Indeed. Which is why increasing numbers among us have started reading up on anarchist politics.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EliiJubXEAQE3R_?format=jpg&name=medium

3 Likes

Emphasis on “if”. After Jean Charles de Menezes was shot, no CCTV footage of the killing could be recovered from the CCTV cameras on the platform or in the train carriage.

(For anyone not familiar with this incident: on 7 July 2005, Islamist terrorists blew up themselves, three tube trains and a bus, in a coordinated attack that killed 52 Londoners. Exactly two weeks later, copycats tried and failed to carry out a similar attack, killing no one, but leaving behind a gym membership card with a name and address. The next day, police trailed a man seen leaving that address across London on two buses: when he entered an Underground station and boarded a train, armed police rushed him, pinned him down and shot him seven times in the head. As it turned out, he had absolutely nothing to do with the failed attack: the suspect’s address was an apartment block, and he happened to live in one of the other flats. He was just an electrician on his way to work. He didn’t look much like the suspect at all, but he was ambiguously brown – he was Brazilian, the suspect Ethiopian by birth – and had, according to one of the trailing police officers, “Mongolian eyes”. The Metropolitan Police were later found guilty of breaching health & safety legislation.)

8 Likes

Night security on empty shopping malls and derelict factories?