Photos of dangerous overcrowding at US border patrol detention centers

I believe it to be a knock-off of Banksy’s “Follow Your Dreams”… but the sentiment is spot-on.

“Never again”, means never fucking again

Some ways to help

13 Likes

I’m so ashamed of my country, even more so than when 43 invaded Iraq. I thought it couldn’t get any worse. I was wrong.

7 Likes

God, what a great book/movie that was.

It’s not just here, but fascists in the UK have done the same:

3 Likes

Retconned onto the statue to obscure that the Statue of Liberty was about Emancipation, but we’re running short on that too.

7 Likes

Well, it’s a tried and true tactic that worked pretty well to demonize Hillary eh? They’re smart enough to recognize that AOC will be a threat in the future, and are starting the work now.

5 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking. These pictures will have two completely different effects depending on the politics/humanity of the viewer. Commie pinko “libruls” like most of BB here will be rightly horrified that we again have US concentration camps lorded over by the ICE gestapo. Honest god fearing “good” republicans will look at this evidence of unnecessary cruelty and inhumanity and think “good. Those people deserve it! (too bad we can’t just gas them)”.

Everyone always asks “how could your average German support Nazi policies?”. This is how people. This is exactly how it starts.

11 Likes

Jesus wept. My shame in my country grows each day. Tomorrow will be a temporary crescendo.

2 Likes

You broke my like button, I hit it so hard I broke my phone in half

1 Like

I was just listening to George Takei yesterday describe his ordeal as a child in similar concentration camps

Of course, as I’m sure most here know, those were also on American soil, perpetrated against innocent people. Most of whom were American born citizens.

This slice of 1940s America is not making America “Great Again!”. It is making America a living intolerable hell for anyone with a goddamn conscience and a memory of history.

Guantanamo brought back the idea of indefinite detention and normalized it, so much so that even the Iranians who imprisoned and tortured the guy who was co-interviewing with Takei said in response to his pleads- “Hey, its not as bad as Guantanamo”.

Now this.

Someone please throw a motherfucking American history book at Trump and his supporters, or throw them in the camps with the book for a firsthand history lesson.

THIS SHIT IS NOT AMERICAN. It is evil, and it needs to end NOW

3 Likes

I agree that it’s evil, not sure that makes it unamerican.

4 Likes

Demonizing Hillary was an end in itself. Demonizing AOC is just step one of the process here, however. By demonizing her, they get to dismiss any issue she brings up. By being their viewer’s sole “news” outlet, they also get to ignore everyone else affirming that she is, of course, completely correct on that issue.

3 Likes

I just saw the US Holocaust Memorial Museum’s response to calling these “concentration camps,” and I was flabbergasted:
“[the museum] unequivocally rejects efforts to create analogies between the Holocaust and other events, whether historical or contemporary.”

I mean, what the fuck’s the point of the museum, then, if their meaning of “never again” is “we will never acknowledge when this is happening again”?

13 Likes

tumblr_ptsyhadwte1svi3pk_500

1 Like

Actually, I’m deeply concerned they’re not failing. If you take the perspective of a maniacal narcissist eroding governance and control of a nation, de-stabilising its civil society, then he’s not failing.

He’s succeeding, wildly.

2 Likes

Thread:

9 Likes

From a rational standpoint, if anything that America has ever done is repeated, technically that is America repeating its own history.

I don’t see anyone willing to give out smallpox blankets to migrants and claim its the American thing to do.

I merely hate what is being done in the name of my country by a completely amoral, grifting, and hateful president, and that his supporters cheer as they lock up innocent children to suffer and die. That is actual evil.

If I have to say technically its American to be evil to innocent people, I’d rather reject that historical connection entirely and try to get America to reject the evil of its own past, and present idiots.

So technically you might be right- but morally, do you want to be? If this is what America is, I’d rather renounce my citizenship

3 Likes

Let America be America again.
Let it be the dream it used to be.
Let it be the pioneer on the plain
Seeking a home where he himself is free.

(America never was America to me.)

Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed—
Let it be that great strong land of love
Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
That any man be crushed by one above.

(It never was America to me.)

O, let my land be a land where Liberty
Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
But opportunity is real, and life is free,
Equality is in the air we breathe.

(There’s never been equality for me,
Nor freedom in this “homeland of the free.”)

Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?
And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?

I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
I am the Negro bearing slavery’s scars.
I am the red man driven from the land,
I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek—
And finding only the same old stupid plan
Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.

I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
Tangled in that ancient endless chain
Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
Of work the men! Of take the pay!
Of owning everything for one’s own greed!

I am the farmer, bondsman to the soil.
I am the worker sold to the machine.
I am the Negro, servant to you all.
I am the people, humble, hungry, mean—
Hungry yet today despite the dream.
Beaten yet today—O, Pioneers!
I am the man who never got ahead,
The poorest worker bartered through the years.

Yet I’m the one who dreamt our basic dream
In the Old World while still a serf of kings,
Who dreamt a dream so strong, so brave, so true,
That even yet its mighty daring sings
In every brick and stone, in every furrow turned
That’s made America the land it has become.
O, I’m the man who sailed those early seas
In search of what I meant to be my home—
For I’m the one who left dark Ireland’s shore,
And Poland’s plain, and England’s grassy lea,
And torn from Black Africa’s strand I came
To build a “homeland of the free.”

The free?

Who said the free? Not me?
Surely not me? The millions on relief today?
The millions shot down when we strike?
The millions who have nothing for our pay?
For all the dreams we’ve dreamed
And all the songs we’ve sung
And all the hopes we’ve held
And all the flags we’ve hung,
The millions who have nothing for our pay—
Except the dream that’s almost dead today.

O, let America be America again—
The land that never has been yet—
And yet must be—the land where every man is free.
The land that’s mine—the poor man’s, Indian’s, Negro’s, ME—
Who made America,
Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,
Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,
Must bring back our mighty dream again.

Sure, call me any ugly name you choose—
The steel of freedom does not stain.
From those who live like leeches on the people’s lives,
We must take back our land again,
America!

O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath—
America will be!

Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
We, the people, must redeem
The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
The mountains and the endless plain—
All, all the stretch of these great green states—
And make America again!

— Langston Hughes.

10 Likes

Well put.

America has done many horrible and evil things to its own people and the original inhabitants and it’s past as well as people around the world.

We are far from blameless but we often claim to be the greatest country on Earth as if somehow we are beyond being a force of evil sometimes, as if we know no stain of it.

I know America’s history well, so I know that there are parts of it we must never repeat

On today our anniversary of our country I would like to say I love the dream that America is to many- a land of true freedom, opportunity to learn and make a happy life for onesself. A place where we took the tired masses in, and gave them a place to help each other to make us a wonderful melting pot of culture, science, and reason.

I do not love what it is right now to some.

I don’t care if its a dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it- I will work everyday to make that dream real.

1 Like