Picard trailer

But does Michael Burnham ever admit to Saru that she has eaten his species?

Saru: “You didn’t have a choice. You were trapped in that Mirror Universe”
Burnham: “The worst thing about it is…you guys are delicious!”

5 Likes

He figures that out himself. A scene worth watching, in an episode I dare not reveal more about as it would be spoilerey.

Instead, I would point out that Tig Notaro joining the crew as Commander Jett Reno is great. I love her dismissive attitude. One of my fave quotes:

You don’t know me, doc. I’m un-insultable, especially by a guy who thinks he can run a ship on mushrooms that I pick off my pizza

6 Likes

OK, just for that, Star Trek-Discovery Season 2 is going ahead of my binge viewing queue ahead of Jessica Jones.

Trust your instincts - that’s exactly right IMHO. Find a list of “Best original series episodes” (TOS, i.e. 60s Star Trek) - you basically want the ones that haven’t dated horribly (which is a lot). Season 3 is famously bad.

ETA: This list looks solid.

Then once you know and hopefully like the original characters, watch the movies 2, 3, 4, maybe 5, and definitely 6.
(Five gets a lot of hate but YMMV. The first one is okay but very slow.)

Then - and this is the most important bit - stop. You’re done!

1 Like

Ive forgotten so much of Nemesis* that after this trailer I realized I will have to watch it again just to make sure I am up to speed.

*nemsis, the one star trek film I’ve seen less than once.

1 Like

I liked the scene from the tv show “extras” where Patrick Stewart played himself and described a screenplay he was working on for himself. The man does have ideas.

7 Likes

I want to like this. I don’t think I will. It looks like ACTION TREK! IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

12 hours of “Movie Picard” isn’t what I wanted.

3 Likes

I thought Discovery was gonna be crap, but it turned out so far to be an amazing series. And with Michael Chabon at the helm for Picard, I am very hopeful.

2 Likes

Disagree on Discovery. It had some OK character moments with Pike, but it the overall tone was just… wrong.

I was going to complain about the god-awful dialogue but I remembered that TNG is my series and before The Best of Both Worlds the writing was just… errr. Yeah.

1 Like

SQWEEEEEEE.

(I guess BBS wants me to write in complete sentences.)

1 Like

Tone? What exactly are you looking for? Every Trek series has had its own tone and differences. You may have not liked the direction it went but to think the tone was “wrong” is factually false.

1 Like

Haven’t seen any Discovery but i’m delighted to find out that Tig Notaro is part of it, i love her :slight_smile:

6 Likes

She’s only in a couple of episodes but man does she shine when she is there. Plus she is a Starfleet Engineer. Swoooon

3 Likes

Having seen Avengers: Endgame, I think it might as well be pretty depressing. That A:E scene worked pretty well for me. Prototypial US-american approach, trying to move forward and maybe even see something positive in what you went through. The “But not us.” line afterwards was one of the film’s best moment, IMO.

Steward’s Jean-Luc Picard definitely has the stature to do an Anonymous ex-Borg help group. His “four lights” moment was a highlight (pun not exactly intended) of TNG. Ryan’s 7/9 is less a natural choice. Even in her best moments, I had trouble not seeing some make-up masked projection plane for post-adolescents fanbois.

I was rooting for a calm and contemplative Picard. I see they raised me a action-packed drama.

I see their drama and give them the finger. I am so not exited about that series any longer. :frowning:

2 Likes

I have never seen Nemesis, but that gif makes it look (possibly ridiculous but) fun.

1 Like

Stewart seemed to be having a good time. The audience not so much. I guess it was about on par with Insurrection.

Honestly I’d be a lot more excited about the new show if they just wrote it as if none of the Next Generation movies ever happened.

4 Likes

Of the Next Gen movies, I only saw First Contact, from which I mostly remember the wonderful “Ahab” scene. Based on this thread, I may leave the others unwatched in my “Matrix sequels/Dune prequels/later Heinlein” bucket.

I enjoyed parts of Discovery (only seen Season 1 so far), but I did wish for better dialogue sometimes when the characters would sort of blandly speechify the subtext. “Admit that you can’t do this anymore because you finally went there with someone and things got complicated.” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Easily the best of the bunch and I’m not even sure if that one aged especially well. Plus the whole emotional arc of Picard confronting/moving on from his traumatic experience with the Borg was a story that had already been pretty well covered in the series.

2 Likes

If “logic extremists” existed in the real world I think we’d call them ultra-rationalists

Absolutely this! I hadn’t heard of her before ST, but she’s so good in that role.

1 Like