“Pixels” movie a sexist pile of crap

Sharing mostly for the URL.

Sandier put me off Punch Drunk Love for years. Finally watched it recently. 'Twas okay, but it’s at the lower end of PTA’s work.

FTA:

…Peter Dinklage’s egomaniacal gamer character, is irritating, but at least short

Intentional?

1 Like

Pretty much the only good thing is that the guy who made the rather cool original short is not rather well off.

Best gif ever. Best. Still laughing.

5 Likes

I read that Cracked article too. This sounds like a terrible movie and I’m not gonna defend it, but really, “city invaded by video games” is not such a wildly imaginative premise that only one person could have invented it independently.

3 Likes

What surprised me is that he’s said (several years ago) that he refuses to take roles as an elf, or where his height is portrayed as inherently comical. So now I’m trying to figure out how it’s possible for Adam Sandler to make a movie with a dwarf in it that doesn’t contain any short jokes.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen this movie? I know that Boing Boing thinks that the movie is sexist, but seriously, how was it? The trailer makes the movie look really dumb.

Actually, its about…

4 Likes

Why don’t you jump on that grenade, if you’re going to bother defending it?

2 Likes

Can anyone please explain to me why it is fashionable to pile on criticizing something without actually having any direct experience of it?

For bonus points, why is a call for some first-hand experiences being pooh-poohed?

Are differing opinions forbidden, or what?

1 Like

Do you need firsthand experince to know that rotten seal blubber will make you sick?

Sandler hasn’t made anything decent in years and is getting comedically lazier and lazier. Why shouldn’t we expect the trend to continue?

1 Like

Spam is fucking rude. Have a flag.

3 Likes

In this case, people have directly described what makes the movie sexist. And judged that yes, it Is sexist.

Now, are you for or against jabbing your own eyes out with toothpicks? I think you should do it, just so you know if it’s a good thing to do or not. Without that first-hand experience, who will know if it’s bad?

7 Likes

I volunteer to be the control group. @shaddack will jab his eyes with toothpicks, whilst I jab mine with large, puffy marshmallows.

#Stand back, we’re about to do SCIENCE!

14 Likes

I can’t explain it in fashion terms, no.

4 Likes

On the contrary. I’m congratulating him for stepping forward to do so.

You could also beat him to the punch so you can stop tut-tutting long enough to tell us how not-sexist it is as well. Feel free!

I think it might have been more of a sonic boom.

What Cracked article? More specifically it’s “aliens invade Earth, taking the form of video games, only a guy really good at the old video games can defeat them,” which isn’t even the premise of the short it’s ostensibly based on. It isn’t wildly inventive, but I can’t think of any other examples of that specific idea…

The Last Starfighter, but not exactly.

1 Like

Not quite Jumanji either.

1 Like

Leave it to Hollywood to turn a perfectly lovely two-minute personal project-grade short film into a completely horrible “$88 million + $20 million in marketing” two-hour train wreck.

13 Likes